Old November 10th 06, 05:25 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
John Smith John Smith is offline

Default Only "Would-be-Einsteins" need apply...

Cecil Moore wrote:
John Smith wrote:
Of course, the ether has not yet been seen, and the unseen is
difficult to prove and accept...

Quoting "Alpha & Omega", by Charles Seife:
"Quantum physicists are forced to conclude that
the vacuum isn't truly empty. It is seething with
particles and energy. ... The need (to understand)
is more pressing than ever before, because they
think that the energy of the vacuum, the zero-point
energy that is everywhere in the universe, is forcing
the universe apart." That force is thought to be the
same thing as the Casimir effect which has indeed been
measured.

Cecil:

You made a mistake in your spelling, a first (well, maybe!) But surely,
you meant the "Cashmere Effect", the effect my suit has on women!

"Dutch physicist Hendrik B. G. Casimir first proposed the existence of
the force, and he formulated an experiment to detect it in 1948 while
participating in research at Philips Research Labs. The classic form of
his experiment used a pair of uncharged parallel metal plates in a
vacuum, and successfully demonstrated the force to within 15% of the
value he had predicted according to his theory.

The van der Waals force between a pair of neutral atoms is a similar
effect. In modern theoretical physics, the Casimir effect plays an
important role in the chiral bag model of the nucleon, and in applied
physics, it is becoming of increasing importance in development of the
ever-smaller, miniaturised components of emerging micro- and nano-
technologies." -- Wikipedia

Hey, does an affect cause an effect? Or, is each and every effect is
followed by an equal and opposite affect? Geesh, confusing...

.... makes me see visions of Fleischmann-Pons dancing in my head, only
thing keeping me up is a long tether tossed me from NASA and it might
have broken!

Warmest regards,
JS