Old January 29th 04, 11:38 PM
Gary P. Fiber

On 29 Jan 2004 09:01:37 -0800, (Derek
Toeppen) wrote:

Gary P. Fiber wrote in message . ..
Gary,

I am inclined to think you are correct. The battery only
supplies power to the CPU. Not an external memory. The CPU
has an EPROM window. So I think the radio programming is in
ROM. And the limited RAM inside the CPU only holds user
programmed frequenies.
But I could be wrong. It could hold calibration factors
or frequency range information for the PLL.

Have you tried this on an IC-735 yourself?

P.S. The current drain from the CPU must be very low. The
13 year old battery has a voltage of 2.946 volts under load.
Its still going strong.

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 17:21:37 -0500, Nitespark
wrote:

NO The 735 battery only retains the programmed memories the operator
programmed it is not like the IC-745, 751, 751A, 76,1 R71A, 271A / H,
471A / H, 1271A , M700, M700TY where if the battery expires the
frequency set up for those transceivers goes away.

If the IC-735 battery dies all your programmed memory channels with
revert back to 28 MHz frequencies

Derek,

I worked for Icom America for 11 years until 2001 and yes I have
replaced the 735 lithium battery. As I said the only thing you will
loose is what you have programmed into the memory channels, so write
down what you have in those before proceeding. I would be inclined to
let it die and then replace it at that time.

I have never known an IC-735 that needed any sort of reprogramming
except for memory channels after you change the lithium battery.
there is not even a CPU reset that I remember on the IC-735. The other
transceivers I mentioned above are not the same and do use volatile
ram that is battery backed.

Gary K8IZ
Washington State Resident
Registered Linux User # 312991