Old October 20th 03, 11:19 PM
Art Unwin KB9MZ

Richard Clark wrote in message . ..
On 19 Oct 2003 16:49:23 -0700, (Art Unwin KB9MZ)
wrote:

What other options do I have for increasing Q other than silver
plating of the copper?

Hi Art,

Make it as small as possible, with as large as possible conductors.
Look at any of the small, tunable, loop antennas on the market.

As a bonus, you also get to participate in the eternal debate about
the voltage found at the ends of a dipole when your own construction
begins arcing big time.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Richard,
In my case I need the field around the inductance for coupling
purposes.
To make it smaller a core material would have to be used.
I spoke of flattening the tubing but I am not sure if it would
be worth it to plate or should it be wound ribbon wise as
some of the old Collins inductors or edge wise wound per some
of the commercial inductances.
Going to the large copper winding really showed up as an
improvement in the antenna such that it has wet my appetite !
Regards
Art