Old November 12th 06, 01:29 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Owen Duffy Owen Duffy is offline

Default Need design info on coax traps for dipoles

On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 16:19:48 -0800, Danny Richardson
wrote:

On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 22:07:14 GMT, Owen Duffy wrote:

Programs tend to underestimate the losses of these traps.

Owen,

What is your estimation of the loses? Will it be more than a dB?

Danny,

I recall modelling dipoles incorporating such traps with NEC some time
ago. My recollection is that the loss is of the order you suggest,
which might seem insignificant in the context of a path budget, if it
wasn't for the fact that it might about to a significant amount of
power to be dissipated in the trap, depending on the power level /
mode.

Operation at resonance exacerbates the situation.

My sentiment is not so much that the traps are a bad idea, but the
design tools that are around seem to take shortcuts and are
inconsistent. The design tools would make one think that the trap
designs are better than they really are.

I tried Reggie's COAXTRAP and compared the predicted inductance with
his SOLNOID3, and they differ by a factor of 4, and SOLNOID3 produces
the more believable result. I don't know why that would be so.

Owen