Old October 21st 03, 01:07 AM
Richard Clark

On 20 Oct 2003 15:19:42 -0700, (Art Unwin KB9MZ)
wrote:
Richard,
In my case I need the field around the inductance for coupling
purposes.

The size of the field has nothing to do with Q.

To make it smaller a core material would have to be used.

Only if you want the same inductance - you didn't ask that, you asked
for more Q.

I spoke of flattening the tubing but I am not sure if it would
be worth it to plate or should it be wound ribbon wise as
some of the old Collins inductors or edge wise wound per some
of the commercial inductances.

Flattening will only increase loss - not Q.

Going to the large copper winding really showed up as an
improvement in the antenna such that it has wet my appetite !
Regards
Art

Increasing copper for the same, or near same inductance is a waste of
time. You have to have started with a pitifully poor example wound on
a old wive's sewing spool to make any gain in that game.

Start with the basic dipole's Q and reckon how much your Q will be
improved = diddly squat. Turn that basic dipole into a small tuned
loop (AKA MFJ or whoever) and watch that Q go through the roof.

However, there is one hidden negative to your wish. Q is not, of and
in itself, a positive thing when optimized beyond all other
characteristics. The crystal in an electric circuit has an
exceptionally high Q and a dipole a mediocre-to-poor one. Which
transmits HF further? If you read your Terman, you will find that
even for a transmitter's tuned final, you DO NOT want the highest Q,
but instead a value between 8 and a dozen. If it were higher, power
would never come out the antenna port.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC