Old November 12th 06, 10:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Rich Rich is offline

Default Large Wire Antenna for 17m

Try this
http://www.gopherlink.com/DeltaXray/...rComments.html

Rich
*********************************************NN
"Jim Leder" wrote in message
If you can get it high enough, and I assume you can, why not a Delta loop
with the apex at the bottom? I have tried several different 17 meter
antennas, but the Delta loop is the best I found. True, it is only
bi-directional, but mine is NE/SW and works pretty well in those
directions. I use a Sigma 5 vertical dipole for everything else, but the
loop is better that the vertical in it's favored directions by a lot.
I also used a half square on 30 meters, but have since removed it in favor
of a simple inverted vee. I found the half square, while very effective on
transmitting, was noisy on receive. The vee 'heard' things better and
seems just as effective on transmitting. Fortunately, I was able to get
the vee's apex up to 45 feet. Anything lower than that favors the half
square on 30. I mention this because I also tried a half square on 17, but
the loop was MUCH better.

--
Jim Bob Buckeye
AKA

"Alan Taylor" wrote in message
I have some space and some high trees. I already use a 400ft doublet with
atu for several bands and a 30m half square and get good results. I want
to improve my performance on 17m. I am now thinking about a wire antenna
with reasonable performance for 17m only. I have thought about a full wave
loop, even a bobtail. A broadside array would be great but I am not keen
on antennas with reflectors or directors because of the complexity of
support ropes. So, really some kind of antenna supported by ropes from two
trees would be ideal. Any ideas please?

Alan VK6BN