Old November 12th 06, 08:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Doug Smith W9WI Doug Smith W9WI is offline

Default Labeling mobile antennas?

xpyttl wrote:
Hustlers for 75/80 since the Hamstick doesn't cover 80, and the 75 meter

Yeah, this was an unpleasant surprise last night. I'd bought the 75m
antenna months ago & figured it was marketed as "75" because they didn't
think anybody would want to work mobile in the CW band. Finally got
around to trying it in a Wendy's parking lot in Cadiz, Ky. - and found
with the stinger all the way out it wouldn't resonate any lower than 3650.

Yet the cutting guide packed with the antenna provides length settings
for the entire 80m band.

Yes, I *was* parked far away from any light poles/buildings/semis/other
detuning objects...

(and despite the 9:1 SWR I was able to make three QSOs on 3560 as far
away as Pennsylvania...)

--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66