Old November 13th 06, 05:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap
Joel Kolstad Joel Kolstad is offline

Default FCC took 11 meters from Hams and gave it to CB'ers.

"ken scharf" wrote in message
.. .
At the time "CB" in the 27mhz region made sense because UHF equipment
was too expensive to build for the masses. That's no longer true. The
FCC should eliminate the 27 mhz CB service before the start of the next
sunspot cycle and force everyone there to move to UHF.

I like your reasoning, although realistically they'd have to have a
well-publicized program to do so that would most likely have various
"deadlines" that would get pushed back a few times before really having any
meaning (just as the switch to broadcast HDTV has done!) I'd expect that
equpiment manufacturers would -- for a time -- be building dual-band radios.

Given how "abused" FRS and GMRS are anyway, perhaps the FCC could just drop
the GMRS licensing requirement and pretty much be done with it!

One of CB's
biggest problems was interference from 'skip' (DX), and it is illegal to
work DX stations anyway.

Really -- I didn't know that (the part about it being illegal)! Seems a
little silly to me...

---Joel