Old November 13th 06, 07:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
Dave Heil Dave Heil is offline

Default American Red Cross Tells ARRL It Wont Stop Credit Checks On Hamand CB Volunteers

policy-ham wrote:
NEWINGTON, CT, Nov 10, 2006 -- The American Red Cross (ARC) has
attempted to clarify its policy to require background checks of its
employees and volunteers, at least as far as the policy applies to
possible credit checks.

snip

The ARC's new policy "is a positive action," Howe told ARRL, and aimed
at raising public confidence and trust in the organization's volunteers
and workers. "The Red Cross certainly values its employees and
volunteers, and our background check process is not intended to be a
burden to those who play a vital role in our relief efforts," she said.
"We believe that in order to maintain the trust of the American people
and provide them with the best quality service, all Red Cross employees
and volunteers must undergo background checks according to standards
being implemented across the entire organization."

The American Red Cross has no business whatever doing a credit check on
me or any other radio amateur who volunteers to assist it.

This is another attempt by an organization to assume power to which it
has no right.

If an emergency occurs where the services of volunteer radio amateurs
are needed, the ARC may find itself in a tight spot with regard to
volunteer communicators.

I hope that the ARRL decides to do a background and credit check on any
organization (and its officers) who desire ARES assistance.

Count me out on any participation in ARES activity which involves the
American Red Cross.

Dave K8MN