Old November 13th 06, 10:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Roy Lewallen Roy Lewallen is offline

Default 4:1 Current Balun Common Mode Impedance?

How are you connecting it to measure the common mode impedance? I don't
think you can just connect the input leads together and output leads
together like you do with a 1:1, but I haven't taken the time to think
much about how you really should measure it. . .

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Danny Richardson wrote:
I'm looking for input regarding the common mode (choking) impedance
for 4:1 current baluns. A friend recently purchase a commercial 4:1
current balun and, out of curiosity I set it up and measured the
common mode impedance and was very surprised at the performance I saw.
A very narrow range peaked at about 1.58 MHz. (The unit's rated
frequency range is 1-30 MHz.)

I have no experience with this type of balun having always used 1:1
ratios and I'm wondering if this is typical for this type of balun.

Because one doesn't post binary attachments on this news group I have
placed a schematic and a common mode impedance plot for the balun
along with a reference plot for a commercial 1:1 balun at;
http://k6mhe.com/balun.html

73,
Danny, K6MHE