Old October 21st 03, 07:45 AM
Mark Keith

"KB1IBE" wrote in message ...

I really want to lose the tuner altogether and just load up into a nice
1:1 match !

Bingo! You've just passed GO, and are ready to have an efficient
antenna system. Lose all the unneeded devices. Feed a 40m dipole with
coax, and tune the antenna to give you a good match. Shouldn't have to
adjust much. Feeding a full wave loop with coax is also a good choice.
Either is very efficient. Even a 1.25 WL dipole would be efficient,
just a different pattern... I usually just use dipoles. Less supports,
work, and just as good for practical purposes on that band. You don't
want to waste power in tuner losses when you run QRP. The losses of
any decent coax on 40m are very low. MK