Old November 15th 06, 08:22 PM posted to alt.ham-radio,alt.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Argusy Argusy is offline

Default Best ARRL Hankbook issue

J-McC wrote:
I used to really enjoy the ARRL handbook. I used to purchase a new
one every so often here in Australia. I think the best valve ones
were in the late 80's and then naturally it slowly evolved to
semiconductors, integrated circuits and printed circuit boards and
more sophistacted circuits etc.

Just took a look - I've still got a 1977 issue. Threw out the earlier
ones when I moved around the countryside (RAAF Bases Amberley,
Edinburgh, Garbutt, Laverton (now some other name), not in any
particular order)

I think the old days of truly making your own receiver and or
transmitter are allmost gone.

I agree

I have become old any eyesight is now growing dim! snip

Well, eyesight's not dim, but I can't read without specs anymore

When I look at some of the modern Ham gear I am amazed at how complex
and tiny they have become. I supposed all we really have left now is
making aerials and dxing.

Yeah...

Next time I am in the city I must checkout the latest ARRL Handbook as
I still enjoying reading them in bed.

I can't do that anymore - book's too heavy, and my eyes get bloodshot.
BTW, I still have William Orr's 1978 'Radio Handbook' as well. That's
also good for a read occasionally, as well

Jim McCardle ex VK3ZOE in Australia.

snip

Argusy
AKA Graham (VK5CRC but "deaf" for 20 years)