Old November 18th 06, 03:52 PM posted to alt.ham-radio.vhf-uhf,rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore Cecil Moore is offline

Default Best 2M antenna for atv ?

James wrote:
Any recommendations on this ? I know that an atv would not provide much
of a ground plane, so I think a 1/4 wave would be out of the question.

For optimum performance, a 5/8WL needs a better ground
plane than a 1/4WL. I once provided four radial whips
attached to the luggage rack on my motorcycle which
worked with a 1/4WL vertical. It performed well.

Any recommended "type" (wavelength, etc) and brand for this use ?

On my bicycle, I use a J-Pole made out of ladder-line.
It is attached to a fiberglass bicycle flag pole. It
doesn't need a ground plane. This should work well on
an ATV. You may even already have the fiberglass flag
as is required when riding on many beaches.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com