Old November 18th 06, 04:46 PM posted to alt.ham-radio.vhf-uhf,rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore Cecil Moore is offline

Default Best 2M antenna for atv ?

James wrote:
As for a J-Pole, I really don't think that is a high-gain antenna , is it ?
My thinking has been that it is primarily a dipole, mounted vertically.

A 1/4WL is not a high-gain antenna either. Neither
is a 5/8WL with a non-optimum ground plane. A J-Pole
has essentially the same radiation pattern as a
1/4WL ground plane but it doesn't need a ground
plane. If you want gain and are willing to provide
an optimum ground plane on your ATV, then there are
phased-array gain antennas available, e.g. the
Diamond 97 inch NR22L with an advertised gain of
6 dBd.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com