Old November 20th 06, 11:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
w9gb w9gb is offline

Default Drake R4-C antenna connector question

"Chuck Harris" wrote in message
tjbitt wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions. I ordred an RCA (phono) adapter plug today.
Do I
need the jumpers for mute PTO lamp etc if I'm using the R4C as a
receiver only ---no connection to transmitter? Hate to be a dummy but
these older radios are completely new to me. Thanks agn for the
help---Ted --KQ4MZ

Hi Ted,

One note, on some of these radios there isn't enough room on the inside
of the chassis for the long center pin (eg. original) RCA phono plug
to fit. I don't know if the Drake is in this group. You should take
a peek inside the chassis, and see if a protruding pin will get too
close to anything.

If you do find this to be the case, you can easily fix the problem
with a pair of diagonal cutters. Basically, you crimp the center pin
with the cutters a little bit, and rotate a few degrees, and do it again.
Just a little at a time, until the excess pin drops off. This rolls
the end over like the original, and makes soldering easier.

-Chuck

Ted -

In addition to Chuck's suggestion -- you will find that SOME of the phono
(RCA) to BNC adapters are a "bit wide" and crowd the phono jack for the
Speaker. I have 2 and I use the narrow one on the Drake R-4C.
====
To answer your other 2 questions.
I also operate my Drake R-4C as a stand alone receiver.

The MUTE and PTO lamp jumpers are needed -- when the receiver is NOT paired
with the matching Drake TX-4C.

The MUTE is "open" when the TX-4C transmits and closed on receiver (hence
the need for the jumper).
PTO Lamp is "open" when the TX-4C PTO is being used and closed when the
R-4C PTO is being used --- in a transceive configuration.

Now, you will find some operators solder a wire jumper inside the receiver
(a practice I discourage -- and had to remove from this estate item). These
jumpers are very easy to make. I use a blank RCA plug - solder a wire to
center pin then wrap other end around the location designated for shield or
other conductor -- very neat.
====
Lastly, you also need the jumper plug in the noise blanker socket -- IF it
is not present. Again, the OM that had this receiver before me soldered the
jumper to the bottom of that socket (bad form).

You have two options for the 7 pin plug. You can purchase Don Garrett's
(WA9TGT) solution
http://www.wa9tgt.com/Drake_R4C_4NB_Plug.html

OR purchase a 7-pin plug with screw on back from Leed's Radio (Brooklyn, NY)
and wire the 2 jumpers inside that plug.
7-pin miniature plug - Fits sockets for 1L6, 6AU6 etc good for making tube
adapters and test jigs with screw on back shell - NOS $4.00
http://www.leedselect.com/parts-sockets.html

New Drake blue filters?
http://www.wa9tgt.com/Dial_Filter_Page.html

or very well stocked hobby shops in .01 and .02 plastic sheets
http://www.midwestproducts.com/catal...d=19&sa2_id=21

w9gb