Old November 21st 06, 05:55 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,alt.usenet.kooks,rec.radio.cb,rec.radio.shortwave,alt.music.country
[email protected] bill_newport.4land@yahoo.com is offline

Default another place the fruit can't post

MarQueerMyDear wrote:
Posted on Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 6:19 pm:

A random sampling of the more than 360 comments filed at this point
suggests the tide is running firmly in favor of the FCC's stance. Some
even praised the Commission.

CLICK on the Link Below for More Information.

Hundreds File Comments on FCC Morse Proposal

NOTE!

If you are in Favor of Dropping The Morse Code Requirment then simply
post the word YES

If you are NOT in Favor of Dropping the Code then simply post the word
NO

Lon
Tech808
CEF808
N9OSN

Yankee
Advanced Member
Username: Yankee

Post Number: 817
Registered: 7-2003
Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 4:09 pm:

Morse code RIP, I'm just happy I don't have to any longer worry about
it or mess with it.

.
Carl CEF-357/KD5SDM

Jms656
Junior Member
Username: Jms656

Post Number: 38
Registered: 5-2005

Posted on Monday, August 22, 2005 - 11:29 am:

KEEP THE CODE! You will appriciate your HF privlages more. Your DX ops
are much better.

Kirk
Intermediate Member
Username: Kirk

Post Number: 297
Registered: 6-2002
Posted on Friday, September 02, 2005 - 11:14 am:

Ok I'll be the other guy....why not keep code?

Relaxing or even getting rid of it will not usher in new blood as I've
heard this statement played over and over again.

73--Kirk AB8BC

Sandbagger106
Member
Username: Sandbagger106

Post Number: 79
Registered: 11-2002
Posted on Tuesday, September 13, 2005 - 1:20 pm:

As a general class ham, I'm in favor of dropping the CW proficienty
requirement for HF access. If you like the mode then by all means use
it, but if not don't.

It would be far more useful to require more technical knowledge than
being able to copy five words / minute. sb106

Great_lakes
Junior Member
Username: Great_lakes

Post Number: 13
Registered: 3-2005
Posted on Tuesday, September 13, 2005 - 8:01 pm:

It would be a very good thing for ham radio to get rid of the code
requirement.

HF is the REAL ham radio and it needs more participants.

Great_lakes
Junior Member
Username: Great_lakes

Post Number: 14
Registered: 3-2005
Posted on Tuesday, September 13, 2005 - 8:40 pm:

I hold a general class license and I too would like to see the cw
requirement dropped.

It is a pointless requirement that has only hurt the hobby .

HF ham radio should be easier to get into. I am also in favor of a
simpler written portion of the testing.
A test that only covers basic rules and regs also safety issues would
be appropriate.

If an individual wishes to learn more about the technical aspects of
this hobby they will do so on their own.

Moderator1516
Moderator
Username: Moderator1516

Post Number: 31
Registered: 8-2005

Posted on Friday, September 16, 2005 - 6:40 am:

the morse code is a relic of by gone days good for nostalgia but
useless other wise
moderator 1516

Patzerozero
Senior Member
Username: Patzerozero

Post Number: 1482
Registered: 7-2004

Posted on Friday, September 16, 2005 - 5:08 pm:

keep code as before & the numbers will drop FURTHER...here as well.

Unit199
Intermediate Member
Username: Unit199

Post Number: 158
Registered: 8-2003

Posted on Saturday, September 17, 2005 - 5:42 am:

I hate to puncture anyones balloon, but dropping the code is not going
to help bring new or young people into the hobby. Get real!!! In the
age of computers and cell phones doing more all the time, do you really
think that the younger people are going to spend the time to study to
become a ham. I don't think so!!! You people need to come out of your
dream world and join the real world. The only thing that is going to
happen, is that the people will now upgrade and we still lose, because
there won't be any new hams to take their place. You need to stop and
look at the big picture and ask your self if the younger people are
going to become hams. I have to say it doesn't look too promising. Just
my feelings.

HARVE
Unit199
CEF210
KB0YVK

Freebird
Intermediate Member
Username: Freebird

Post Number: 262
Registered: 1-2003

Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 10:16 am:

DROP the code is a good thing but radio itself is a dying thing.Most
hams are over the age of 50 years old as most younger people are into
other things nowadays such as computers.

Englishalan
New member
Username: Englishalan

Post Number: 3
Registered: 7-2005
Posted on Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 11:28 am:

Drop the code!!
We did in the Uk and it gave Ham radio a much neede kick in the pants!!

Regards
Alan

Pathfinder317
New member
Username: Pathfinder317

Post Number: 5
Registered: 9-2005
Posted on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 2:14 am:

I say drop the code but retain the band plan with the allocated
sections for cw , so not to take anything away from the people who
still want to only use cw. My biggest pet peeve is , be it 5wpm or
20wpm , it is still only ONE MODE of operation.
We aren't tested on packet,echolink, or any other mode to get even a
tech license. Like it or not the code is soon to be a dead horse , and
the hf bands will never be the same all because no-one knew the code. (
yea right)

Unit199
Intermediate Member
Username: Unit199

Post Number: 170
Registered: 8-2003

Posted on Monday, October 17, 2005 - 4:54 am:

I will admit that I am old school. I don't want them to do away with
code and I am not a member of FIST. I use the code because I really
enjoy it. Using the excuse that it is going to ruin the hobby if they
don't do away with it is ludicrous. In my opinion, most of the people
that support this are the ones that don't want to have to work a little
to learn it.

As I have said before, doing away with code is not going to make this
hobby grow. The ones that are here, will upgrade and no one to take
their place, still makes it a losing situation. Just my thoughts.

Harve
Unit199
CEF210
KB0YVK

Kg4ryt
Member
Username: Kg4ryt

Post Number: 50
Registered: 4-2002
Posted on Friday, November 18, 2005 - 10:43 am:

Drop it...It is outdated.

Sitm
Intermediate Member
Username: Sitm

Post Number: 192
Registered: 1-2004
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 11:20 am:

I am a licensed ham and I am in favor of dropping code and making the
test somewhat test somewhat more difficult.

Chad
Advanced Member
Username: Chad

Post Number: 597
Registered: 11-2004

Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 7:40 pm:

I am not a licensed ham and agree that the test could be made more
difficult with the dropping of code. especially in the areas of safety
and station operation.

I'm cool wit that!!!

Chad

Colt
Junior Member
Username: Colt

Post Number: 74
Registered: 1-2002
Posted on Friday, December 30, 2005 - 2:00 pm:

Well, as a general class ham and FISTS member, I certainly am
disappointed with the "hams" who not only want to drop the code
requirement altogether, but feel the perverted need to bash those who
still respect the art and skill of CW.

Colt W4QDX

Gage
Intermediate Member
Username: Gage

Post Number: 204
Registered: 7-2003
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 3:18 pm:

I will be taking my General Class written test the end of this month!!I
will then start back up studying the code!I guess I'll hear "I have
been a General class for 20 years and put me(Gage) in my place!!HHaaa!

Gage!!KB0QWD

Tech808
Moderator
Username: Tech808

Post Number: 8862
Registered: 8-2002

Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 4:34 pm:

OK, everyone can we stick with the topic of Dropping the Code.

It is a simple question that deserves a simple answer and is not
intended to become a personal debate between a select few who do not
agree with what others post.

If you want to start a debate then PLEASE start another topic or e-mail
the person direct.

PLEASE, when you submit a post Address your comments to the Question
and not the Person posting their personal comments/feelings on the
Question.

Thanks,

Lon
Tech808
CEF808
N9OSN

Kilowatt
Intermediate Member
Username: Kilowatt

Post Number: 223
Registered: 2-2004

Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 5:47 am:

I am definitely in favor of code being dropped. Just my 2 cents...

Rid0617
New member
Username: Rid0617

Post Number: 4
Registered: 12-2005
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 12:59 am:

I am for it being kept but only for the top license. Either that or
permit technicians some HF frequencies to experience that form of
operation besides 28.300-28.500.

Geekster
Intermediate Member
Username: Geekster

Post Number: 166
Registered: 6-2004

Posted on Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 6:52 pm:

I say drop the code and make RF and electrical safety hands-on classes
with proper lightning protection and grounding techniques. This is more
valuable than any mode of operation test. I say drop the code but
replace the code with more important issues I have listed above.

Ck29
Junior Member
Username: Ck29

Post Number: 16
Registered: 3-2006
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 12:53 pm:

They should consider dropping the code for 10 or 12 meters or both for
Technician class, and include 10 & 12 meters in the test that would
give them a taste of HF and maybe more of a incentive to upgrade in
class. But not drop the code all together.

Thanks..ck

Willie
Junior Member
Username: Willie

Post Number: 13
Registered: 5-2002
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 11:01 pm:

here it is august 2006, "Still" nothing from Friendly Candy Company,
that i have heard of

Draft
Member
Username: Draft

Post Number: 79
Registered: 7-2006

Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 12:48 pm:

Lon,

What's your stance on the FCC doing away with the Code requirement YES
or NO?

Tech808
Moderator
Username: Tech808

Post Number: 11978
Registered: 8-2002

Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 1:51 pm:

YES!

Lon
Tech808
CEF808
N9CEF
CVC#2

Crackshot
Intermediate Member
Username: Crackshot

Post Number: 216
Registered: 10-2005
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 3:00 pm:

I am in favor of dropping code. It is not used and the CW I do hear is
very, very seldom.
With cell phones, text message, computers, email and chat, the radio
hobby is dying.
On the other hand, if they do want to allocate another band to CW users
only, that's fine too but I feel CW is hurting ham radio usage.
I do think the tests should be reasonable and would require some
thought.

Chad
Senior Member
Username: Chad

Post Number: 1174
Registered: 11-2004

Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 9:03 am:

I don't think that dropping code will increase the number of operators.
If you want it you can have it now. There's enough under the tech
licensing to keep you busy for a while if you look around!

I DO believe that dropping code would vastly increase the number of
general operators. Good or bad, this is to be debated. I for one (as
stated many times before) am for dropping code FOR GENERAL ONLY. If
they want to make the test more technical then go ahead. There are too
many techs out there who pounded thru code but yet still have no
understanding of basic electronics, safety, and.... CODE for that
matter. Loose the code and teach them safety and electronics before
they kill themselves!

Chad

Starface
Advanced Member
Username: Starface

Post Number: 843
Registered: 1-2005

Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 5:03 pm:

Agree 100%

George
KI4NBE

Unit199
Intermediate Member
Username: Unit199

Post Number: 384
Registered: 8-2003

Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 7:32 pm:

I understand both sides of code debate, but as far as doing away with
it just so a person can upgrade to GENERAL CLASS is a bunch of bull.
How about if they do it this way, do away with code for all classes
except General Class??? that way to get access to the majority of the
HF band you will have to work a little and pass code to get the
priviledges. Most of the people that will upgrade to General will stop
there and go no farther, because if they keep code for Extra, that is
where they will stop. My feelings are, if they are going to drop code,
it should be dropped period. My feelings are, get off your lazy butts
and learn the code and then you will not have to worry one way or the
other.

HARVE
UNIT199
KB0YVK

Tech808
Moderator
Username: Tech808

Post Number: 11997
Registered: 8-2002

Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 8:55 pm:

[...]

If you have already posted to this Topic then there is No Reason to
post to it again.

Kirk
Intermediate Member
Username: Kirk

Post Number: 319
Registered: 6-2002
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 9:52 pm:

No

Starface
Advanced Member
Username: Starface

Post Number: 845
Registered: 1-2005

Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 2:53 am:

yes

Dixie_611
Junior Member
Username: Dixie_611

Post Number: 25
Registered: 6-2005
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 2:54 am:

yes

Midwess
Junior Member
Username: Midwess

Post Number: 23
Registered: 12-2005
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 5:05 am:

NO !!!!!!!!!!!

Whiskeyman
New member
Username: Whiskeyman

Post Number: 1
Registered: 11-2005
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 2:55 am:

yes

Crackshot
Intermediate Member
Username: Crackshot

Post Number: 220
Registered: 10-2005
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 11:26 am:

yes

Sonny
Intermediate Member
Username: Sonny

Post Number: 115
Registered: 5-2004
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 5:02 pm:

YES

Hollowpoint445
Senior Member
Username: Hollowpoint445

Post Number: 1395
Registered: 6-2004
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 2:40 pm:

No.

Stogie
Member
Username: Stogie

Post Number: 54
Registered: 5-2004
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 6:52 pm:

Yes, drop it.

Ronin
Junior Member
Username: Ronin

Post Number: 14
Registered: 8-2006

Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 3:00 pm:

YES. If not entirely, then at least for the General ticket.

Test_bot
Junior Member
Username: Test_bot

Post Number: 15
Registered: 3-2006
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 9:13 am:

YES

Watt
Junior Member
Username: Watt

Post Number: 38
Registered: 1-2004
Posted on Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 10:47 pm:

YES!

N8xfj
Intermediate Member
Username: N8xfj

Post Number: 202
Registered: 8-2006

Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 11:51 am:

YES

so you answer to "fruit",huh?