Old November 21st 06, 10:30 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
C. J. Clegg C. J. Clegg is offline

Default Questions on broadband antenna design (e.g. T2FD)

On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 22:19:44 +0000, Wayne wrote:

I don't have the technical data you ask about, but I do have experience in
installing systems such as you describe. We simply used the commercially
available B&W broadband loaded dipole.

Good afternoon, Wayne.

That's certainly an option, but as I said I would rather not spend $200+
unnecessarily, especially since I already have all of the necessary
materials except for the terminating resistor.

Anyway, the BWD-65's lower end is 4 MHz, and some of what I've read about
T2FD antennas seems to indicate that near the low end is where efficiency
is worst (inside of the design range ... outside of the design range it is
MUCH worse).

I suppose I could use the BWD-90 but I have a hard time understanding how
they get all the way from 1.8 to 30 ... that seems very, very wide even
for a T2FD antenna (I suppose it's a moot point, though... I'm sure it
will get to my upper limit of 9 MHz nicely).

As an aside, I see from the latest HRO catalog that the BWD-20, BWD-45,
and BWD-65 are all $220 and the larger / longer BWD-90 is only $200. Why
do you all suppose the bigger one is cheaper than all of the smaller ones?