Old November 22nd 06, 07:31 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
John Plimmer John Plimmer is offline

Default Mikes views on TT RX-340

"mike maghakian" wrote in message

OK, so we have two unknown people that don't like the 340, here are 10
reviews on eham and every review got 5 of 5:

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/3757

and don't forget the gov't has 1000's of these in operation

Ten Tec RX340 and WJ 1000 - these expensive radio's have only 16 bit
processors which limits them. However owners in this newsgroup defend
them to the hilt. Two of my DX friends had RX340's and sold them for
better options.

Mike, keep your shirt on.
Reviews are a highly subjective matter, even experts and lab tests often
don't agree at all.
My views happen to be mine and reflect 40 years of DXing and following all
the web reports of DXpeditions around the world and observations of the type
of radio the top DXer's are using and the comments they make.

If you like the TT RX340 = great, go buy another one.

People's opinions are just that, if you ask a Democrat what he thinks of his
friend who voted Republican, he will probably say he is a moron. If you ask
a Republican why his friend voted Democrat he will say he is mentally
deranged, and so it goes.

eHam reviews are highly misleading - they represent only the subjective
often non expert opinion of a fella who forked out a lot of boodle for a
radio and is so happy with it that he had to tell everyone via eHam.

For instance, the Icom R75 rated 51 reviews, the bulk of them "5's". Since
the AOR7030 only got 14 reviews, does that make it worse than the R75 by
your standards? I think not.

My Icom IC-756 PRO III got 83 reviews on eHam, the large bulk of them 5's.
Does that make it the best radio since sliced jerky came along?

My observations of scanning the top DXpedition sites on the web is that:
In North America a lot of the top DXer's use Drake R8A's and some "B's"
Europe uses a lot of AOR7030's
Scandinavian's love the NRD545
Two of the best DXer's in the world in Australia use the Icom R75.

My DX pal who I rate as one of the best MW DXer's in the world uses only a
very old, unmodified, rusted and dust encrusted Yaesu FRG-7. His published
results and amazing recordings usually runs rings around the rest of us with
all the fancy gear.

I assure you Mike, if the TT RX-340 was the best radio in the world then
they would be selling far more of them than they actually do and the second
hand market for them would be pumping, but the recent sale of a TT RX340
only raised $2750 hardly a big vote of confidence in it when Drake R8B's are
selling mostly for more than the owner originally paid.

South 33 d 47 m 32 s, East 20 d 07 m 32 s
RX Icom IC-756 PRO III with MW mods
Drake SW8 & ERGO software
Sony 7600D, GE SRIII, Redsun RP2100
BW XCR 30, Sangean 803A.
GE circa 50's radiogram
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop, PAORDT Roelof mini-whip
http://www.dxing.info/about/dxers/plimmer.dx