Old November 22nd 06, 05:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Paul Ciszek Paul Ciszek is offline

Default Question about receiving broadcast (AM/FM) radio

I realize that this is the wrong sort of "radio" newsgroup, but I
cannot find any newsgroup dedicated to consumer AM/FM receivers. I
figure you folks would have opinions on the relative merits of
digital vs. analog tuners.

Which is better for pulling in a weak, distant radio station: a
top-of-the-line analog tuner, or a digital tuner with quartz crystal
oscillator, phase locked loop, etc.?

I am seeking a "good portable radio". None of the portables that I
have owned have been able to pull in weak stations as well as my
no-name car radio. Now, according to what I was told in some courses
over a decade ago, I thought the "best" radio receivers used a quartz
crystal local oscillator and phase locked loop to "lock on" to the
received signal. However, the high end radios people have been
refering me to (like the Tivoli Portable Audio Lab) have analog
tuners. I have to admit that part of the charm of a digital tuner
is the laziness it allows: key up 1340kHZ or 91.5MHz and you're
there.

I doubt that my no-name car radio was expensive even when the car
was new. There should be a portable radio out there that works at
least as well. Any recommendations? It wouldn't necessarily have
to have a speaker; headphones would be fine.

--
Please reply to: | "One of the hardest parts of my job is to
pciszek at panix dot com | connect Iraq to the War on Terror."