Old November 22nd 06, 07:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Paul Ciszek Paul Ciszek is offline

Default Question about receiving broadcast (AM/FM) radio

In article ,
Al Lorona wrote:

Believe it or not the best receivers seem still to be the old-fashioned
analog tuners, partly because of an inherently lower phase noise level in
analog tuners and partly because a couple of manufacturers have put some
great engineering into putting out really good portables.

One is the GE Superadio which always gets great reviews everywhere, and the
other is a little-known Radio Shack Chinese clone of the Superadio, their
catalog #12-903, which I believe is a little bit more solidly built than the
GE and closely approaches its performance.

Is the GE Superadio III as good? (Sometimes the model name stays the
same, but later versions aren't the same product at all.)

Any portable with a jack for an external antenna is a plus because you can
run a lot of wire outside an bring it in through a window. This is much
better than even the large 8-inch ferrite rods in the GE and Radio Shack.
(Both models have connectors for external long wire type antennas.)

I understand the merits of big antennas, but the whole idea of a portable
is that you can pick it up and take it to the office, lab, etc. without
having to get permission to string wires. Do these radios come with some
sort of default antenna (like the traditional telescoping chrome rod)?

My recommendation is to stay away from the Sony ICF-SW7600GR which a lot of
people like because of its digital tuning and synchronous AM mode but I have
one and there is no comparison between it and the RS 12-903, for example. It
eats batteries like nobody's business and doesn't sound as good as the RS.
One of the other big advantages of the GE and RS are their beautiful audio
quality thanks to well-designed wide IF bandwidths and large speakers. And
you can expect your batteries to last more than 200 hours!

Is there anything similar to the GE or Radio Shack that gets shortwave?
More to the point: In the middle of the continental US (Colorado), can
I pick up international news in English? Someone told me once that the
BBC was going to stop its shortwave broadcasts for the US because we
weren't offsetting the cost.

Shortwave wasn't part of my original interest, but I got curious after
one guy claimed that any shortwave radio has to be better quality than
a mass-market AM/FM radio.

--
Please reply to: | "One of the hardest parts of my job is to
pciszek at panix dot com | connect Iraq to the War on Terror."