Old November 23rd 06, 04:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Jeff L Jeff L is offline

Default Modifying CB whip for HF bands

I made 3 of these antennas many years ago - 10m,15m and 20m - and use
them almost daily. They are modified Radio Shack 5/8 wave base-loaded.
They work very well, and are only about 2 feet tall. It involved
re-wiring just the coil. I use a trunk-lip mount, but they also work
with a magnetic mount. I don't have the article anymore, but I believe
it was in QST (maybe around the mid-80's) .

Jeff

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 18:27:15 -0600, "w9gb"
wrote:

"Al, N1AW" wrote in message
roups.com...
Eskay wrote:
Al, N1AW wrote:

Some years ago I read a magazine article on modifying a base-loaded CB
magnetic mount antenna for lower bands.

[snip]

Is this for a mobile antenna?

I guess I should have said so, yes, such antennas are meant for roof-
or trunk-mounting on a vehicle.

- Al

Al -

There were a large number of articles during the 1970s on this subject (73,
CQ, Ham Radio magazines) -- as well as conversion of CB mobile whips to
2-meter 5/8 wave antennas.

Although a significant amount of information is electronics (Internet
accessible) -- there is also a considerable amount that is still available
through your local library. At best, you may find an electronic index of
the materials.

For example, Herb Freidman wrote a number of articles in Popular
Electronics, Electronics Illustrated as well as the amateur radio
journals -- yet I have to go through my local library's magazine and
periodicals request network -- to get reprints of his Electronics
Illustrated articles and materials.

w9gb