Old November 24th 06, 04:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Al, N1AW Al, N1AW is offline

Default Modifying CB whip for HF bands

Jeff L wrote:
I made 3 of these antennas many years ago - 10m,15m and 20m - and use
them almost daily. They are modified Radio Shack 5/8 wave base-loaded.
They work very well, and are only about 2 feet tall. It involved
re-wiring just the coil. I use a trunk-lip mount, but they also work
with a magnetic mount. I don't have the article anymore, but I believe
it was in QST (maybe around the mid-80's) .

Thanks Jeff! I'm pretty sure the article I was thinking of did not
come from QST. Seib, VE3JUA found and sent to me an article from 73,
Sept 91, pp. 26-28 titled "Economical Mobile HF Antenna" which is
probably the one I remembered.

I'd also like to find a copy of the QST article. I used to have a
complete collection of QST back to the 70's but that went away too, I
just couldn't continue to store all my old magazines. The ARRL website
allows a search for articles, but in most cases the article text can't
be retrieved. I found a number of possibilities, but I can't tell from
the titles if one of them is really the one you mentioned. If anyone on
the list can help to pin this down I'd appreciate it. At this point
it's not so much for the sake of the information, but just to be able
to properly give credit in an article I may write about some of my own
mobile antenna experiments.

Both the 73 article and the QST article you refer to mention modifying
new antennas from Radio Shack, in one case a CB antenna and in the
other case a 5/8 wave 2 meter antenna. Both of these types of antenna
typically use a coaxial base with a tapped loading coil, and so either
is a good starting point for a modification project. However, for me
the attractiveness of the technique is that it can also be used with
used CB antennas that can be found for just a dollar or two at
neighborhood tag sales. They are not as easy to find as they used to
be, but I'm sure there are still a lot of them in garages and attics.