Old November 29th 06, 08:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Dave Dave is offline

Default 20m vertical dipole

Picture 2 fiberglass poles, each 16.5 feet long, mounted
horizontally on top of a 10 foot long wooden pole, with a dipole cut
for 20m strung between them. The coax feeding the dipole is taped to
the wooden pole. Picture this antenna on top of a building, then
position the antenna with the wooden pole parallel with the ground,
extending past the edge of the building, and the fiberglass poles
extended vertically. A vertical dipole! This is what I'm thinking of
putting together for a trip out to a friends lighthouse, and the end of
the lower element should be about 30 feet above the water. Being above
salt water, I'm expecting a takeoff angle of less than 10 degrees, and
hopefully closer to 3-5 (or less) for some DX work.
I've never built an HF antenna before, but I have had success with
a 4-element 2m quad I built years ago. Does this design look like it
will work? Any and all (well, most, at least) comments will be given
their appropriate attention. Thanks.

Dave