Old December 1st 06, 12:40 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap
Slow Code Slow Code is offline

Default Just listen to CB if you want to know what ham radio will sound like.

"Radiosrfun" wrote in
:

"JOHN D" wrote in message

"Slow Code" wrote in message
ink.net...

We need to keep the CW requirement and increase it. We shouldn't let
ham radio get dumbed down again.

SC

It doesn't take a damn bit of knowlege of electronics, radio,
propagation or
regulations to learn cw.
So how is cw gonna prevent the dumbing down of ham radio.
Why are you not stressing a need for better testing for technical
competentcy to prevent the dumbing down?
There are a lot of engineers, technicians and hobbyists who allready
know electronics who might be interested amateur radio, but don't have
time or interest to fool around learning code. Once licenced some,
maybe many, of these people would develope an interest in cw.

I personally know of very good 2 way radio techs - one who won't go for
a ham license because of the code - the other has acquired his NO-Code
Tech, but won't go any higher because he "doesn't" want to fool with the
code. So, Code "may" be keeping out some otherwise good operators. CW
alone - isn't "dumbing" down - ham. It's the "STUPID MANUALS". With
them, you don't "need" electronics, just the ability to learn a few "one
liner" answers. Almost amounts to a mouse in a maze smelling cheese to
direct it. PUT SOME TEETH back into the "THEORY". Some of the bozos I've
met - can't tell the difference from a fuse and a resistor. That is
pathetic.

If you "choose" "just" to BS - CB is the way - and it too "can" be a
good hobby, if you don't have to contend with a lot of the same CRAP -
of everyone splattering, constantly saying Audio, keying up just to ****
people off, and so on. IF you choose to "LEARN" - Ham "can" be the way.
But then again, even at this point, I know some CBers who know more than
many No Coders - or even Extras for that matter. There "are" some
"serious" CBers out there who "get into" their equipment - knowledge
wise. They have a "desire" to learn. There again, they won't go ham
BECAUSE of the code. It is a two sided coin - but regardless - both CB
AND HAM - have a lot of "nice" folks and a lot of idiots - who - "could"
be better operators if they tried. These Ham tests - do "not" test the
"psychological" make up of people.

Code is ok - but it's not the salvation of the world - and certainly not
the Ham hobby.

Still again - SC has "YET" to show proof of a license to back up his
claims. People need to "ignore" him and move on.

Tnx, 73, Good luck on the code test.

SC