Old December 1st 06, 12:04 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
[email protected] r2000swler@hotmail.com is offline

Default forming precision detector brewing group

N9NEO wrote:

For an interesting thread see:
http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=3857.0

Terry

Yea, those guys over there got a lot on the ball with High Perfromance
detectors and such. Frank, GFZ, is a friend of mine and does a lot
with the Racal units.

I'm not looking for anybody to do any hands on work that will take up a
lot of time. Just a few who I can bounce Ideas off of and help if I
get stuck. Like I said - I'm in between jobs so I got the time to lay
out a board. When boards done whoever wants one can have.

Looks like the board will have the detector, amplifier and filter on
it. I want to drive a set of phones with the thing and am not really
too concerned with driving a speaker. I will have a line out connector
to drive directly into my Marantz so I don't think amplifier will be so
critical for me. I notice that Dallas Lankford set up his filters to
drive into 8 ohms. I think I'm going to drive into a higher impedance
- probably near 100 ohms and then just a buffer to drive the phones.

So question for now is about headphone impedance. I'll post that
seperate and see what others are using for phones.

Below is link to paper. it's the one about improved eliptic filters.
I have the filters in switchercad just to see how impedance effects
filter response.

http://www.kongsfjord.no/dl/dl.htm

73
NEO

I have found Dallas' LP fitle to be a very usefull addition to my
system.
When I first posted a link to his filter I took some hits because some
people think that active is either easeier or better. An active fitler
would
clearly lend it self to easier adjustments. The active circuit at the
link I
posted has a slight advantage for those with radios will less then
ideal IF
filters. The 5KHz, 9KHz, and 10KHz notches will be very usefull. I
built a
set for my DX398 for use on mini-dxpeditions.

For normal adjsutments I like the Tone Tilt that I first experienced in
a Kiwa
MAP SAD.

One simple circuit for which I do not have a link is a "ear protector".
I listen with earphones a lot of the time. My wife is very supporting
but doesn't understand my fascination with utility reception. Nothing
worse then trying to dig out a weak signal, with the AF gain cranked
up,
and a loud static "pop" rolls in. Or even worse, another signal comes
on frequency.

OUCH!

My hearing has suffered enough and have no desire to damage them
any more!

So I built a device that consists of a series resistor, a pair of two
1N400X
wired as a clamp to limit the voltage to a maximum of ~1.4V. Since my
two choices of earhphones are a 40 year old set of Sennheiser HD424, 2K
each side, and a set of Byer's with ~600 Ohms each side. The Sennheiser
are of the "opne air" desing and I can wear them for hours.The Beyers
are
of the clsoe design and I were them when there is too much back ground
noise. They also have a built in boom mic so on those odd occasions I
actually use my ham gear, they are nice for hands free. A foot PTT or
VOX are very usefull.

The earphone protector has a Lo-Z to high Z (8:600 ohms) transformer,
but
it will work great with every radio I have tried it with without
thetransformer.
I use sereis resistors of 470 Ohms, and have a 1K pot across the diodes
allow the level to be adjusted. This pot is a screwdriver and even
though the
Beyers and the Sennheisers have over a 2:1 difference, the sound levels
are matched to within a few dB. I can't measure earphone output better
then
about +/- 2dB.

Terry