Old December 2nd 06, 12:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Denny Denny is offline

Default Tower height question (moved thread from tower pro NG)

Given the freezing rain yesterday it will be a while before I climb the
towers..
The bolt sheared on the 4el-40 mounting in that wind a couple days ago
and the beam is tipped up again... Looks like it has to come down
sigh
You are right, as you get older this gets to be less and less like
fun...
denny

Roger wrote:
On 30 Nov 2006 04:04:46 -0800, "Denny" wrote:

The most direct answer is to put up as tall a tower as you can...
Horizontal antennas for for 40-10, and shunt feed the tower on 80 and
160...

Of course you have to remember that as you get older those things can
be a bear to climb. :-)) and then stay up there for the whole
afternoon. OTOH I'd like to have at least a couple elements on 40.
I'd give up the 144 and 440 arrays to do that. Not sure how close I
could get the 40 to the tribander with the 6-meter yagi about 12 feet
above that.

Oh! Lost the 160 sloper due to a shedding will tree yesterday during
the storm. I have to go all the way to the top to fix that.

denny - k8do

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com