Old December 2nd 06, 07:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
g.overbosch g.overbosch is offline

Default New to Ham

"Ed Byars" schreef in bericht
ups.com...
I am going to buy a radio that I hope will last me many years. I want
to start with a mobile that will also serve as a base station.I am
looking at a YAESU FT-857D. Any comments on the pros or cons of this as
a beginner radio that can stay with me as I develop my skills?

I bought this set about 2 years ago and loved it ever since.
I am a Novice-license HAM in the Netherlands.
At this moment only allowed to use 2m and 70cm bands.
At the moment I bought the set it was already an issue here that
Novice-HAM's would get permission to use (parts of certain) HF bands. All
the paperwork (governement) did cause this to be postponed until now.
When everything goes as it should be (and it seems that way) then I can use
my FT-857D for HF with 25 Watts. I am looking forward to this moment.

73 de PD5GO
Gerard