Old October 22nd 03, 06:55 PM
Art Unwin KB9MZ

"Ronald Walters" wrote in message om...
I have been using a MFJ-989C tuner for about (5) years without any problems.
Just recently I have noticed that on the higher band, 24 MHz that the SWR
occasionally would jump from an adjusted 1:1 SWR to infinity. A slight
adjustment of the roller inductance appeared to solve the problem although I
haven't ruled out a balum or antenna problem. I plan on investigating that
this weekend, however, before I open the cabinet and look for problems I
would ask the group for recommendations on cleaning the roller assembly and
inductor to ensure good conductivity after I am done.

I still have some old cleaning solutions from the old TV tuner days, some
electrical cleaner (Appears heavy duty stuff) but maybe there is some other
solutions someone might recommend.

Your thoughts and recommendations are appreciated

Ron - W4LDE

I use Muriatic acid for this and when working on coax e.t.c
Inexpensive to purchase at hardware or lumber yards ( $4 a gallon)
I dilute it with an equal amount of water. This is also ideal
to clean copper prior to soldering
Cheers
Art

First came across this many years ago when I was in the Carribean on
one of many many business trips.
A local gave me a large sea shell with a beutiful pattern on it but it
was encrusted with all sorts of sea matter. Immersing it a short while
as per above
and all the crud was removed leaving a very shiny and elaborate
surface.
Ten years on the side board and still looks good and shiny. Passed on
the tip
to a vendor on the beach in San Juan so hopefully his business
improved.