Old December 5th 06, 10:23 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Dan Andersson Dan Andersson is offline

Default RoomCap Antenna

Felix,

I'm surprised over this test...

What you are implying but not writing is that your RoomCap doesn't work as
well as an EH on 160m... I don't think that was what you intended... Hehe

Go home and do some basic math will you... The 160m EH need to be mounted
1/4 of a wavelength up while your RoomCap seems to be a vertical, able or
even meant to be used from groundlevel...

If, as you claim, the EH is only 2 S units down? Wow! That's good - even
absolutely bloody excellent! Well done EH! Unless the compared antenna is
crap of course! And as I have not seen any building description on the
RoomCap yet, who can tell...

If that EH where to be mounted at it's design height, you would have won at
least 3 to 6dB signal strength, equal to 1 to 2 S units.

Also, the bandwidth of the EH suffers when mounted wrong ( to low ).

Why can't these testers RTFM before setting out to prove function or
no-function of whatever gadgets they want to test?!
It's clearly stated about the mounting height!

However!!!!!

I'm very concerned over your statement about only one (1) S unit down if you
rx/tx outside the EH design frequency ( bandwidth ).

My EH's ( proper STAR's ) are shortcircuits when outside the bandwidth! This
is why they suppress TVI/RFI and harmonics in general as well as preventing
the coax to radiate ( one of the reasons anyway ). If described in S units,
the STAR is down 7 to 9 S units ( well outside the 3dB bandwidth )if
operated outside the bandwidth. It just goes quiet and the bandnoise just
vanishes - exactly like the shorted coax it just became...

You just told me the 160m EH you tested radiates from the coax?! As you only
had 1 S unit down outside the bandwidth. Bad bad bad! Was that an EH at
all?! Or just a short fat dipole?

And guess what... All the EH documentation are available on the net for hams
to try... without charges and fees...

//Dan, M0DFI