Old December 5th 06, 07:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys,rec.autos.makers.chrysler,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default Liberty CRD Diesel '06: Interference with 2m radio transmissions

Well, I have a '99 TJ with a 40 watt police radio wired from the battery.
Noooo problems in 2 years. Automatic, air, GPS etc also.

When I transmit the GPS loses it's location however.

"Mike Romain" wrote in message
If you contact DC, they might send you the booklet on installing a
transmitter into the vehicle. They get very specific on where the power
and grounds can be run as well as the antenna wire.

On GM's for instance, you have to have a 10 ga. dedicated fused power
and ground line to the battery run far away from any vehicle harnesses
to avoid voiding the vehicle warranty. Transmitters can interfere with
things like the ABS and transmission modules, like some TJ's will go
into neutral when the transmitter is keyed up, and any other electronic
part.

Here is a link to GM's instructions, I haven't found any online for
Jeeps:
http://service.gm.com/techlineinfo/radio.html

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

K7AAY wrote:

With a Yaesu VX-5 powered from a Radio Shack car cord attached to the
console cigar lighter socket, I get rapidly repeating noise likened by
others to spark plug noise; but, no spark plugs on a diesel. Removing
the card cord and transmitting on battery eliminates the problem.

I'm about to switch from the VX-5 HT to a Kenwood TM-V7A; how may I
avoid this problem when installing the mobile transceiver.

Thank you in advance for your on-topic suggestions.

73s & best regards,

K7AAY