Old December 4th 06, 06:13 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Mark Zenier Mark Zenier is offline

Default RCI Reception in Seattle, is it possible? My understanding is that the HR antennas that target North America cannot target Puget Sound...

In article . com,
ve3... wrote:

wrote:
Max Power wrote:
RCI Reception in Seattle, is it possible?
My understanding is that the HR Type antennas in Sackville that target North
America cannot target Puget Sound...

I've picked them up (but not at a convenient time). The Radio Netherlands
weekend programs out of Sackville at 11:00 AM -1:00 PM PST get here,
with variable success.

They also relay out of East Asia at times, too. So you may be able
to get that better.

If you just want to hear CBC prgrams, don't forget CBC 90.5 FM
Victoria, which is closer. The Vancouver stations are CBU 690 AM and
105.7 FM. They can be found on the web at:
http://www.bcpassport.com/vital/radio.hmtl

690 kHz in Seattle is hopeless, even before KIRO-710 started IBOC.
They have an amazing notch in their pattern and even with a sal****er
connection all the way there, I never got more that a barely listen-able
signal. It's easier to tune to 6160 kHz, daytime, to get CBC-1 or
540 kHz (CBK Regina?) at night.

Even better is FM, CBC-1 is somewhere down in the educational frequencies,
(maybe that 90.5 MHz you mentioned), and CBC-2 is on 92.1 MHz. And the
French service is just below KING-FM. 97.7 or 97.9 MHz. (They've put
some new US stations in there, so there may be more of a problem getting
that now).

There's also a lot of RCI on the early morning World Radio Network
feed on KXOT-91.7. I think that's also the HD2 program on KUOW IBOC.

Mark Zenier