Old December 6th 06, 08:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Panzer240 Panzer240 is offline

Default "Atomic" clock for UTC/GMT?

Father Mike wrote in news:4576AA0A.3F649999
@theseminary.net:

Alan WA4SCA wrote:

I have been looking for an "Atomic" clock which can be set to UTC time
for the shack. Since the update feature only works in North America,
most of them can only be set to the local time zones. The couple of
sales people I talked to didn't even understand the question. Any
first hand recommendations? (I have already looked at eHam.)

--
Alan
WA4SCA

Hi Alan. look up LA Crosse on the web. i got mine a couple years back
from Universal in Ohio. best price at that time. also my favorite
shortwave shop. and, for your computer, google -alpha clock-. great
little
free program, small foot print.

Father Michael.

Fow Windows XP, this is already built in to the OS. If you double click on
the time down in the lower right hand corner of your screen, you will get
a Date and Time Properties window to open. Click on the Internet Time tab.
Here you can set which time server your computer checks with to get the
time. By default it is set to time.windows.com, but you can set it to most
any time server. The one I use is time.nist.gov This is the same standard
the WWV uses and is also used by those "Atomic Time" clocks on one
frequency or another. usually the LF one.

The default check interval is, if memory serves, once a week. But you can
change this by doing a simple regedit. Goto Start--Run and type regedit
in the command box. Once regedit starts, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services \W32Time\TimeProviders\NtpClient, then
select SpecialPollInterval. Right click on it and select Modify and
change decimal value from 604800 to some other value in seconds. e.g. I
have mine set to 10800 which is 3 hours. This keeps my computer running to
much less than one second error and is more than enough for me

Hope it helps

--
Panzer