Old December 7th 06, 11:47 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Joaquin Tall Joaquin Tall is offline

Default Questions about scanners........

joemama023 wrote:
First I have to admit that i am ignorant, having said that, lol....My
gf would like a scanner, her dad is on the fire department, and they
recently switched over to 800 mhz. So now all I hear are the tones and
then assignment of fireground. My question is, what kind of scanner do
I need to buy for her to be able to hear the conversations on the 800
Mhz freq. is a conventional scanner with 800 Mhz ok, or do i need
trunking? or digital? I have absolutely no idea. please advise =o)

First, you gotta find out if the district/department you gf's dad is in
is transmitting a digital signal or just conventional 800 MHz trunking.

If you go to the following link and do a search, all the freq's as well
as the mode of transmission will be available to you. Then you can
decide which scanner, base or handheld, trunking and/or digital. If it's
a digital signal, be prepared to invest $450 +/- for a scanner. You can
buy them new, or "previously owned".

www.radioreference.com