Old December 9th 06, 05:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Bob Bob is offline

Default OE-254 Versus COM-201B Antenna Comparison

I have read the GIs like the smaller size of the COM-201B and often set
them up directly on the ground without a mast. The OE-254 has had some
problems with the center hub breaking when stressed and there are more
parts to it. The 254 cannot be used without a mast.
Bob

Anthony Jocius wrote:
I didn't know where to go to answer this question, so that is why I'm in
this newsgroup. Basically I'm a reservist for an Engineer Command.
Recently, my boss asked me to do a comparison between an OE-254 (standard
30-88Mhz mast antenna) and an Atlantic Microwave COM-201B (30-88Mhz mast
antenna). Both FM antennas reach to about 42 feet. The COM-201B touts all
kinds of advantages, but in my limited knowledge of antennas the performance
aspect seems to me to be the same or very close. My biggest concern is
durability. The Army for years (over 20) relied on this antenna (OE-254)
and opting for a different one, with limited numbers scares me. If I could
do a blanket purchase for all of our units, even those that already have the
older antenna, I would opt for that. But with different antennas
co-existing, with different parts etc, I'm very reluctant to make the
switch. Can someone do an educated comparison between these two antennas?
A study at http://www.gordon.army.mil/ac/Winter...02/USMCnet.htm
seems like an ad, instead of a fair comparison.

Anthony Jocius
LTC, CA, USAR
Communications Officer