Old December 9th 06, 06:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore Cecil Moore is offline

Default Rain Static ?

John Smith wrote:
Undoubtably, in a power failure, "most all" of the noise, both horiz and
vert, goes away. How to you differentiate between what is the horiz
component and that of the vert component?

I continue to operate on backup power during an AC
power failure. The change in noise level on my
horizontal dipole is not very noticeable. The change
in noise level on my vertical is 2+ S-units. It is
obvious that the 60 Hz power lines furnish the source
of the vertical noise with power. I am still not sure
of the source of the vertical noise but I strongly
suspect the ground wire on the pole in my front yard
that contains a power factor capacitor. If I bring
my portable AM radio close to that ground wire, I
cannot even hear the local AM radio station.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com