Old December 9th 06, 07:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Irv Finkleman Irv Finkleman is offline

Default Rain Static ?

John Smith wrote:

How better could the actual metal radiator (receiving element) be insulated
from the physical striking of rain drops, other than in the nonconductive
fiberglass casing it already resides in? What am I missing?

It seems to me that static electicity, and
hence noise, can be induced through the fibreglass. I used
to have horrible wind static on a dipole made with insulated wire.
I would suggest that the rain striking the insulated material could
also induce a static charge.

Irv VE6BP
Visit my HomePage at http://members.shaw.ca/finkirv/index.html
Visit my Baby Sofia website at http://members.shaw.ca/finkirv4/index.htm