Old December 9th 06, 10:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Dave Dave is offline

Default Rain Static ?

John, at 60 Hz a horizontal wire carrying current has a very strong magnetic
field. The 'right hand rule' indicates the magnetic field, a near field effect,
is vertically polarized.

My 60 meter horizontal is quiet. My 60 meter vertical, about 30 feet from the
horizontal, has a good S4 noise level on the same radio at the same time.

John Smith wrote:
Dave wrote:

Most all verticals have higher noise levels than horizontal antennas.
Reason, as it is reported, is that man made noise is vertically
polarized.

Dave:

Frankly, I think that the statement, "most man made noise is vertical
polarized" is a myth. How many power lines do you see running
vertically? How many extension cords do you see running vertically? How
many phone lines do you see running vertically? Etc, etc.

I think this needs looked at in a new light. Now most 160m antennas are
easier to construct for horizontal operation--perhaps this is where the
myth got started?

Regards,
JS