Old December 10th 06, 01:56 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy
[email protected] hot-ham-and-cheese@hotmail.com is offline

Default What's REALLY Going to Happen When the Code Test Drops

Dee Flint wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

Dee Flint wrote:
"Paul Keinanen" wrote in message
On Sat, 09 Dec 2006 01:25:01 GMT, Slow Code wrote:

No, the bands are going to get worse over the long haul. We got people
that don't want to be skilled knowledgable hams. If they're too lazy
learn CW they are going to be too lazy to learn other things too.
Technical discussions will decline. It will start to sound like CB.

From the European perspective, I do not understand this discussion.
Most European countries (except Russia) removed the CW requirement
after a few months of the ITU WRC decision that CW test is not
required at frequencies below 30 MHz.

We have the ARRL wispering in the FCCs ear.

I haven't observed any problems with persons using the HF bands
without the CW test.

Listen for yourself, can you tell which European operator has passed
the CW test and which one has not passed the test.

Paul OH3LWR

Other countries are not a problem.

No country should be a problem.

Personally I do not attempt to predict
what will happen in the US. However some fear that with easy licensing
and
the lax enforcement here that there could potentially be serious
problems.

Riley isn't doing his job?

I think what I wrote before one of the recent restructurings was, "What
I fear most about eliminating the Morse Code Exam is a lack of
enforcement, and what I fear most about maintaining the Status Quo is a
lack of enforcement."

A lack of enforcement is a lack of enforcement, and a Morse Code Exam
CANNOT be used as a substitute.

If you recall, I've never been the one to claim it is any type of filter
etc. I simply think it is one of the basics and for that reason believe a
basic requirement is suitable.

Dee, you were talking about a lack of enforcement and I was talking
about a lack of enforcement. We were talking about a lack of
enforcement...WITH REGARD TO MORSE CODE TESTING. You absolutely were
saying its being used as a filter in that context.

You came so, so very close to accepting the truth, then you got scared
and ran away.