Old December 10th 06, 06:12 PM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.shortwave
John Crane John Crane is offline

Default The fastest way to destroy ham radio is to eliminate the CW requirement.

"Slow Code" wrote in message
ink.net...

When code is gone your going to see an in rush of lazy people that don't
want to be good or skilled at anything, and their frustration over their
laziness will be taken out on other hams on the bands. This will turn ham
radio into CB.

SC

Code by hand/ear is a quaint skill much loved by old geezers. Just like
knowing how to use a slide-rule. Interesting for historical reasons... but
not very useful otherwise. And old geezers kick the bucket... so in the end
change comes by the minds of the young. Welcome to the 21st century,
Marconi.

SC, I remember what happened to the net with the introduction of AOL
"newbies". So I can relate to your fears. But I think that scenario will
only play out if code AND written exams are abolished. I don't think your
average CB'er could pass the technician exam without code.

Now, psychology... lazy people as a rule don't have frustration over their
laziness. They only get frustrated by biological needs. Why? because
they are L A Z Y.