Old December 10th 06, 09:55 PM posted to rec.radio.info,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.dx
Tedd Mirgliotta (KB8NW) Tedd Mirgliotta (KB8NW) is offline

Default Ohio/Penn DX Bulletin #788

SB DX @ WW KB8NW $OPDX.788
Ohio/Penn DX Bulletin No. 788

The Ohio/Penn DX PacketCluster
DX Bulletin No. 788
BID: $OPDX.788
December 11, 2006
Editor Tedd Mirgliotta, KB8NW
Provided by BARF80.ORG (Cleveland, Ohio)

Thanks to the Northern Ohio Amateur Radio Society, Northern Ohio DX
Association, Ohio/Penn PacketCluster Network, AB5K & the AR TelNet
Clusters Network, K1XN & GoList, NJ1Q, NG3K, W3UR & The Daily DX, N4AA
& QRZ DX, K8YSE, K9EL, Pete's-DX-Newsdesk, DJ5AV & The DX News Letter,
DK8JB, DL4KQ, EA3BT, F5NQL & UFT, F5UJK, G3XTT, I1JQJ/IK1ADH & 425 DX
News, I1HYW, IT9DAA, PT7WA, PY5EG, RSGB IOTA, VE2FET, VE2IDX, VA3RJ &
ICPO, VE3HO, VK3EW and Z35M for the following DX information.

DXCC COUNTRY/ENTITY REPORT: According to the AR-Cluster Network for the
week of Sunday, 3rd/December, through Sunday, 10th/December there were
216 countries active. Countries available: 3A, 3B8, 3D2, 3DA, 3W, 3X,
4J, 4L, 4S, 4U1I, 4X, 5A, 5B, 5H, 5N, 5R, 5T, 5U, 5V, 5X, 5Z, 6W, 6Y,
7Q, 7X, 8P, 8Q, 9A, 9G, 9H, 9J, 9K, 9M2, 9M6, 9N, 9Q, 9V, 9Y, A2, A4,
A5, A6, A7, A9, AP, BV, BY, C3, C5, C6, C9, CE, CE9, CM, CN, CP, CT,
CT3, CU, CX, D4, DL, DU, EA, EA6, EA8, EA9, EI, EK, EL, EP, ER, ES, EU,
EX, EY, F, FG, FJ, FK, FM, FO, FP, FR, FY, G, GD, GI, GJ, GM, GU, GW,
HA, HB, HB0, HC, HH, HI, HK, HK0/a, HL, HP, HR, HS, HZ, I, IS, J2, J7,
JA, JD/o, JT, JY, K, KG4, KH0, KH2, KH6, KH8, KL, KP2, KP4, LA, LU, LX,
LY, LZ, OA, OD, OE, OH, OK, OM, ON, OX, OY, OZ, P4, PA, PJ2, PY, PZ,
R1FJ, S5, S9, SM, SP, ST, SU, SV, SV5, SV9, T32, T7, T9, TA, TF, TG,
TI, TJ, TK, TL, TR, TT, TU, TY, UA, UA2, UA9, UK, UN, UR, V2, V3, V4,
V5, V7, V8, VE, VK, VK9N, VP2E, VP2V, VP5, VP8, VP8/h, VP9, VQ9, VR,
VU, VU7, XE, XU, YB, YI, YL, YN, YO, YS, YU, YU6, YV, Z2, Z3, Z7, ZA,
ZB, ZC4, ZD7, ZD8, ZF, ZK1/s, ZK3, ZL, ZP, ZS

* PLEASE NOTE: The report "could" contain "Pirate/SLIM" operations or
more likely a "BUSTED CALLSIGN". As always, you never know - "Work
First Worry Later" (WFWL).

3B7, ST. BRANDON (DXpedition Update/Press Release). Don Field, G3XTT,
FSDXA Publicity Officer, sent out the following "FSDXA St. Brandon
DXpedition – Bulletin No.2" on December 6th:
"The Five Star DXers Association (FSDXA) expedition to St. Brandon (3B7)
is still on course for September 2007. The plan is to be QRV from Friday
7th September to Monday 24th September, ensuring two full weeks and three
weekends of activity. This Press Release is by way of an interim progress
report, in response to a number of enquiries we have received.
The team is aware that a Polish expedition to Agalega has been announced
for April 2007, but considers that demand for this rare one is such that
an FSDXA-scale operation is fully justified. For example, our D68C operation
netted in excess of 160,000 contacts, despite a Spanish operation the
previous month which handed out almost 30,000 D6 contacts. Similarly,
our 3B9C operation netted over 150,000 contacts, despite Robert 3B9FR, a
resident of Rodrigues, being reasonably QRV over several years. 3B6/7 is
much higher in the Wanted Lists than either of these entities.
An advance team of two will visit Mauritius early in the New Year to
finalise many of the arrangements, and we will have more information
following that visit. This visit was postponed from October due to illness,
but all plans are now back on track and we are confident that we will be
able to mount a successful large-scale (12 stations, 3 weekends, 100k+ QSOs)
operation from St.Brandon in September 2007.
3B7C will have Joint Leaders by way of Neville Cheadle, G3NUG, and Don
Beattie, G3BJ. We have received a number of enquiries about joining the
expedition. As detailed in our previous announcement, we do have a full
team in place. However, we will maintain a file of those who have expressed
interest in case vacancies occur.
An early note about QSL arrangements. Neville G3NUG will be the lead QSL
manager and will coordinate the QSL manager team using the very successful
StarLog programme. Send direct QSLs to: Neville Cheadle G3NUG,
Lower Withers Barns, Middleton on the Hill, LEOMINSTER, Herefordshire,
United Kingdom HR6 0HY. Bureau cards to the RSGB bureau marked "G3NUG".
There will be a facility for email requests via the website.
Last but by no means least, we welcome Martin Lynch and Sons and Nevada
Communications, both major UK dealers, as sponsors. We also welcome Northern
Illinois DX Association as our first cub sponsor.
As a reminder, our website will be accessible via both www.3b7c.com and
www.fsdxa.com http://www.fsdxa.com/3b9c/3b7c where information will be
posted as it becomes available."

C9, MOZAMBIQUE. Vladimir, UA4WHX, is once again in Mozambique this past
week and was active as C91VB/4. His length of stay is currently unknown.
QSNs throughout the past week show he was active at various times on
40/30/17/15/12 meters CW and 20 meters SSB. QSL via UA4WHX.

CE2, CHILE (Lighthouse Op). Look for Hector, CE3FZL, to be active as CE2P
from Panul Lighthouse (CHI-073) during the weekends of December, January
and February. Activity will be on 40/20/15/10 meters SSB only. QSL CE2P
via EA5KB, Jose in Spain.

DX MARATHON UPDATE: John Sweeney, K9EL, Manager of the new CQ DX Marathon
program, informs OPDX readers: "CQ Magazine's first annual DX Marathon
will soon come to a close. It is now time to start gathering your country
and zone contacts made in 2006 and enter them onto the official DX Marathon
score sheet available at: http://www.dxmarathon.com
This year's contest ends December 31, 2006, at 2359Z, but the 2007 contest
starts immediately at 0000Z on January 1, 2007!
Submission information is available on the Web site, but all logs must be
received no later than February 28, 2007. Thanks to everyone who has
submitted their scores so far - good luck! John, K9EL"

HQ9, HONDURAS. Ray, WQ7R, will be active as HQ9R during the CQWW RTTY
WPX Contest (February 10-11th) as Single-Op/All-Band entry. QSL via N6FF.

IOTA NEWS.....................
AS-013. Andrea, IZ6GJO, will be active as 8Q7AN from Kihaad Island,
December 11-22nd. Activity will be on 40/30/20/15 meters, CW
only. QSL direct to his home callsign.

AS-126. (Update) The international group of operators, namely Champ/
E21EIC (Team leader), Dej/E21YDP, Nopporn/HS0EHF, Bruce/AA4XR/
HS0ZCY and Alex/UT5UY are now active as E21EIC/P and E21YDP/P
from one of the most wanted Thailand IOTAs - Lipe Island, in
the Malay Peninsula South West Group, until December 12th. Also,
operators may use their own Thai callsigns. Activity will be
on 160-10 meters, CW, SSB and the digital modes. JA stations
QSL to JR5XPG and all others via E21EIC.

NA-0096. Serge, ON4AA, is expected to be active as HI8/ON4AA from
Hispaniola between December 2nd and January 14th. However,
no QSNs have been reported as of yet. He was also to be in
this past weekend's ARRL 10m Contest but was not spotted.
Activity is planned for 40/20 meters, SSB, RTTY and PSK31.
Also, look for him to be in the UBA Low Band Winter-Contest,
OK DX RTTY Contest, DARC XMAS-Contest, RAC Canada Winter
Contest, SARTG New Year RTTY Contest and ARRL RTTY Round-Up.
He may also attempt to activate Catalina Island (NA-122) as
HI2/ON4AA during the above time frame. QSL via ON4AA, direct
(QRZ.com) or by the bureau. Visit his Web page at:
http://www.HAMwaves.com

SA-023. Operators Cristovao/PY7GK, Ren/PY7RP and Benedito/PY7VI will
be active as ZY6T from Itaparica Island, December 26-30th.
Activity will be on 40/20/30/15 meters CW/SSB. QSL direct to
PY7GK.

OLD INFORMATION. Some how old information (from 2005) about LR5U and
LR50U, which was listed in OPDX.777 (in September), got redistributed
through various DX news sources. Activity was supposed to take place in
December. Please disregard the 2006 info.

NH8S, SWAINS ISLAND (DXpedition Update). Hrane/YT1AD, with the team of
Krassimir/K1LZ, David/K3LP, Doug/N6TQS, Harry/RA3AUU, Andrew/UA3AB,
Eugene/RK3AD, Stevan/YZ7AA, Jordan/KD7RCD and possibly Mladen/YU7NU,
Vel/YZ1BX, Srecko/YU1DX and Dragan/YZ1EW, will be head of DXpedition to
Swains Island between March 29th to April 21st, 2007, using the callsign
N8S (November Eight Sugar). They will stay on Swains Island 10 days and
will operate with 6 stations on the air at the same time. Activity will be
on 160-2 meters using CW/SSB/RTTY/SSTV/PSK31. A new NH8S Web site is up
and running at: http://www.yt1ad.info/nh8s/index.html
The Web page may be called NH8S, but the callsign of the operation will
be "N8S". The site is still under construction, but their tentative
schedule, operating frequencies, pictures of the operators and information
about the island are listed.

P40, ARUBA. Martin, W2CG, is expected to be active from here between
December 11-18th. He has requested the callsign P40CG. Activity will be
during his early mornings and late evenings. QSL via W2CG.

PIRATE ALERT. Jean-Louis, F5UJK, informs OPDX that someone has been
pirating his callsign on 40 meters CW, especially on top of the VU7LD
operation. He states that he is not equipped for 40m, so it is not him
on that band.

PJ4, NETHERLANDS ANTILLES. Operator John, K4BAI, will be active as PJ4A
from Bonaire (IOTA SA-006) during the ARRL International DX CW Contest
(Febraury 17-18th) as a Single-Op/All-Band/High-Power entry. QSL via
K4BAI.

PJ4, NETHERLANDS ANTILLES. Operator Jeff, KU8E, will be active as PJ4/KU8E
from Bonaire (IOTA SA-006) during the ARRL International DX CW Contest
(Febraury 17-18th) as a Single-Op/All-Band/Low-Power entry. QSL via K4BAI.

QSL INFO AND NEWS......................
HA508LTQ via HA8LTQ
RP65DZA via RZ3DZA
RP65FWW via RZ3FR
RP65MB sends automatically, no QSL needed
UK9AV direct via 700000, Tashkent, PO Box 0, UZBEKISTAN
VK1CXX via VK1TX
VU7LD via W3HNK
YI9SM via W5CSM direct
YU60BPQ via YU7BPQ

QSL 9Y4AA via VE3HO. Operators were Jim, N6TJ, and some others in a
Multi/Multi Op from Tobago in the CQWW CW Contest in November 2006. QSL
Manager Garth, VE3HO, informs OPDX that he does not yet have the logs.

QSL P40T via VE3HO. Operator was Richard, N6AA, from Aruba using Jim's,
N6TJ, callsign P40T in the CQWW CW Contest in November 2006. QSL Manager
Garth, VE3HO, informs OPDX that he does not yet have the logs.

QSL TG0AA via TG9ANF. Activity was during this past weekend's ARRL 10
Meter Contest. Operators we TG9ATG, TG9ANF, TG9ADQ and TG9AVU.

S21, BANGLADESH (DXpedition Update). Josep, EA3BT, Team Leader of the
2007 Bangladesh operation, informs that the Bangladesh Telecommunications
Authority "has finally changed their callsign - The callsign that will be
used during te operation will be: S21XA. The logo and Web page has already
been adapted, so please note that the new URL address of the Web page is:
http://www.ea3bt.com/s21xa.htm
(The old links are still are still in place, for preventing errors.)
Josep mentions that they are working hard during these last days before
their operation. The dates continue to be the same: January 10-16th. He
also adds that they have included in their Web page a survey for finding
out the real needs (bands/modes) of the ham radio community. Please visit
the Web page and provide your needs.

SPECIAL CANADIAN PREFIX TO CELEBRATE "HELLO"....100 YEARS OF VOICE OVER
RADIO WORLDWIDE". From: "Radio Amateurs of Canada HQ" :
At the request of Radio Amateurs of Canada, Industry Canada has authorized
all Canadian radio amateurs to use special event prefixes for the months of
December 2006 and January 2007, to mark the 100th anniversary of the first
AM voice broadcast by Reginald Fessenden on Decemebr 24, 1906. Reginald
Fessenden, who was born in East Bolton, Quebec, on October 6, 1866, and
lived until July 22, 1932, was the holder of more than 500 patents on a
wide variety of subjects, and the inventor of radio as we know it today.
He is particularly known for: the first voice transmission by radio in
1900, the first transatlantic two-way radio communications in January 1906,
and the first radio broadcasts of entertainment and music in December 1906.
On Christmas Eve, 1906, from a transmitting station in Brant Rock,
Massachussetts, he sent a short program which included the song "O Holy
Night" played on the violin and a reading from the Bible. A second short
program was broadcast on December 31, 1906. Canadian radio amateurs are
authorized to use the following special event prefixes during the period
of December 1st (2006) to January 31st (2007) inclusive:
CF for VA stations CI0 for VY0 stations
CG for VE stations CI1 for VY1 stations
CH for VO stations CI2 for VY2 stations

THERE IS MORE TO REPORT! We received the following: "Exotic QSL collectors
and other armchair adventurers will certainly be happy to hear that Sylvain,
VE2FET, will be at it again on December 16-17th, this time under the
tantalizing call CG2FET. Along with Pierre, VE2ICI, the bold Gatineau,
Quebec, DX man will be staging a CW, SSB, RTTY, PSK31, non-stop extravaganza
on 80-10m plus 6m, propagation permitting. In the footsteps of the
successful VX2FET episode, the CG2FET slick commemorative QSL is already
at the printers. All this, of course, to mark the 100th anniversary of
Reginald Fessenden's first AM voice and music broadcast on December 24,
1906. And no, Pierre won't play Xmas carols on the piano on 3725 khz AM..."

SPECIAL EVENT (World Scouting Centenary). Celebrations of the Scouting
Movement founding 100 years ago will first happen via amateur radio at
the Scout's Australia Jamboree, January 2-13th, with the special event
callsign VI3JAM being activated. The Australian Jamboree is expecting
13,000 to attend. ICOM Australia is providing an amateur radio station
that will be heavily used on the HF bands. QTH is Elmore about 150 kms
north of Melbourne. Also throughout the scout centenary year 2007, a
second special event station VI3SAA will be active from a number of scout
centenary events. Two commemorative QSLs will be issued * VI3SAA reflecting
the Scouting Centenary theme 'One World One Promise', and VI3JAM in
celebration of the 21st Australian Jamboree.

TF, ICELAND (IOTA Op). Members of the Russian Robinson Club (RRC) will be
active here this coming weekend. The team of Sergey/RA3NAN, Eugene/RZ3EC
and Andy/RZ3EM will operate as TF7RRC from the Westman Islands (EU-071)
on December 15-16th, and as TF4RRC from Flatey Island (EU-168) on December
18-19th, "weather permitting". QSL both operations via RZ3EC (or QSL
RA3NAN/TF, RZ3EC/TF and RZ3EM/TF via their home callsigns). Visit their
Web site at: http://www.qso.ru/tf7rrc

TM8, FRANCE (AAW Station). Operators Monique/F5MLE, John/F5VHQ and Jean
Pierre/F5XL will participate in the "4th Antarctic Activity Week" (AAW),
February 19-25th, 2007, as TM8WAP. This special requested callsign issued
by French Authorities will be good from February 13-27th, 2007. The special
(double folded) QSL will be available via F5XL, direct or by the bureau.
The TM8WAP callsign will qualify for the WAP-ASEA and WAP-WACA Awards as
WAP-80.

VE2, CANADA (CISA Op). Igor, VE2IDX (aka-VA3YDX, J79DX, VB3M, US1IDX etc...)
will be going to Bizard Island (CISA: QC-027), and hopes to be on the air
using his new callsign VE2IDX before the sun sets on December 28th. He
will stay on Bizard Island for a couple of days, and his main goal is to
participate in "The Canada Winter Contest 2006" which will be held on
December 29th-30th. His main frequencies will be 14260 kHz (daytime) and
3795/7260 kHz (during the night). SKEDs are welcomed at:

His equipment is: Transceiver Kenwood TS-570DG, PA Kenwood TL-922a,
antennas Cushcraft AP8A, Inverted Vee for 40/80, GP for 50 MHz and Yagi
for 144 MHz. This is a good chance to work for the Canadian Islands Trophy
(CISA Award program). Rules concerning the CISA Award program can be found
at:
http://www.qsl.net/ve3tpz/cisa/
QSL direct only to: Igor Slakva, 105 La Rose Avenue, #803, Etobicoke,
Ontario, M9P 1A9 Canada.

VP5, TURKS AND CAICOS ISLANDS. Look for Olav, LA9VFA, to be active as
VP5/LA9VFA from Jody's, VP5JM, "Hamlet" QTH on Providenciales, Caicos
Islands (NA-002), December 13-29th. QSL via his home callsign, direct or
by the bureau.

VQ9, CHAGOS ISLANDS. Ash/WY8Q and Sonja/KD4DZJ just received their VQ9
licenses and are operating in Diego Garcia as VQ9IE and VQ9BW respectively.
Look for them on 14253 kHz SSB around 1600z. QSL VQ9IE to WY8Q and VQ9BW
to KD4DZJ. Length of stay is unknown.

VU7, LAKSHADWEEP ISLANDS (VU7RG News). Press release, December 4th: "Today
another 5 VU7 permits and 3 reciprocal licenses were granted by WPC (Gov.
of India) to VU7RG team members.
The field tests of our VU7 scouts confirmed that internet access on the
islands will allow the team to upload online logs on daily base.
VU7RG will make use of Pilot Stations, to be announced soon, which will
receive and forward public observations so that the team can react accord-
ingly in a timely manner."
Frank, DL4KQ, (on behalf of VU7RG and NIAR) reports: "We are glad to
have Klaus, DL1XX, and Don, N1DG, as proofen pilots, a third one will be
announced soon. You now have a comparison from the area we are going to
and this gives us the opportunity to benefit from your monitored band
openings. Hence provide us with your observations so that we can analyze
and consider for best service! Please visit our webpage www.vu7.in, get
part of the team and provide us with your observations."

VU7, LAKSHADWEEP ISLANDS (VU2LD News). The following press release is
from the VU7LD Web site date December 9th : (edited) "A second batch of
6 operators containing Gopal/VU2GMN, Lakshman/VU2LX, Sunny/VU3SPQ, Sara/
VU3RSB, Sashi/VU3ELR and Sanjay/VU2SJD set sail to Kavaratti to join the
other operators who have been there since the 30th of November.
We are aware of issues with the published online logs where the mode
and band have in some cases been wrong, also a couple of logs from a few
sessions were not published on the Web. We are working to rectify that in
the next log update expected the latest around the 20th of December.
A number of constructive suggestions have been received from the
international DX community and we have taken note of the suggestions and
information has already been passed on to the operators who are working
to implement as many of them as is feasible.
Stay tuned 73, de Gopal VU2GMN"
Currently, the online logs are available for the period between December
1st through part of December 5th, at the following URL address:
http://www.arsi.info/vu7/onlinelog.shtml
Remember to QSL via W3HNK. For more details and updates, the ARSI Web
page is available at: http://www.arsi.info/vu7/

WRTC 2006 CERTIFICATES. Atilano de Oms, PY5EG, informs OPDX that they
are mailing certificates and prizes for WRTC2006 participants as following:
1) To the winners KA9FOX, PY0FF (Worked all 46 WRTC2006 Stations CW & SSB)
certificate, Plaque, and shirt.

2) To all the stations who worked all 46 competitors any mode (72 winners)
Certificates and shirts.

3) To the stations who worked minimum of 25 WRTC2006 stations - any mode
(212 winners)
Certificates.

4) To all Officials (members of Committees) Certificates

5) To all participants of the MN/MS stations - Certificates.

They kindly ask you to confirm when you receive the envelope. They are
also preparing some more information and videos, and they will keep us
informed.

YW0, AVES ISLAND. After the great success of the YX5IOTA (SA-044) operation,
the 4M5DX Group announces that a team of 15 experienced operators lead by
Alex, YV5SSB, will be active as YW0DX from Aves Island (NA-020) beginning
the second week of February 2007, for 10 days,. Activity will be on all
bands 160-6 meters including the WARC bands and all modes. Suggested
frequencies are as follows:
CW - 1822-1825, 3523, 7020, 10103, 14020, 18075, 21020, 24893, 28020
and 50110 kHz
SSB - 1842, 3790, 7055, 14190, 14260, 18145, 21190, 21295, 24950, 28490
and 50110 kHz
RTTY - 7040, 10140, 14090, 18100, 21080, 24920, 28090 and 50290 kHz
BPSK - 7038, 10137, 14071, 21070, 28120 and 50290 kHz
SSTV - 14232 kHz
Operators mentioned a Alex/YV5SSB (Team Leader), Jose/YV5TX, Julio/
YV1RDX, Rafael/YV5RED, Martti/OH2BH (foreign guest), Tomas/YV1CTE, Jesus/
YV5MSG, Jose/YV5ANT, Olli/YV5WW (OH0XX), Greg/YV5OHW, Ray/YV5EU (DL2GG),
Pasquale/YV5KAJ, Franco/YV1FM, Felo/YV5GRV, Jig/AD6TF and Conrad/IT9DAA
(YV1CD). QSL via IT9DAA. They are looking for sponsors/donors. More details
are available on their Web page at: http://yw0dx.4m5dx.org/

ZA, ALBANIA. Vlado, Z35M, informs OPDX (edited): "After four and a half
years of activity as ZA/Z35M from Tirana, Albania, on November 29th, the
QSO with the German station DL7AU was QSO number 100,000. The first QSO
under this callsign was on June 3rd, 2002, with the Swedish station SK0TM.
The largest number of the QSOs are made using low power 100w and multiband
dipole G5RV at 30m. My activities from Albania will continue. I'm active
on HF bands mostly on CW, but I also use some phone. QSL please direct to
my home address: Vladimir Kovaceski, Box 10, Struga 6330, Macedonia."
Look at the QSNs from the Cluster Network, ZA/Z35M as been active on
40/30/17 meters CW between 1100-1700z.

** IMPORTANT NOTICE/REMINDER ** The Ohio/Penn DX Bulletin now has a new
FAX number. Contributors can now send/fax their DX information to the
following number: 1-419-828-7791 ( F A X only! )
ALSO VISIT THE NORTHERN OHIO DX ASSOCIATION'S WEB HOME PAGE:
http://www.papays.com/nodxa.html
Excerpts and distribution of The OPDX Bulletin are granted as long as
KB8NW/OPDX/BARF80 receive credit. To contribute DX info, please send
via InterNet Mail to: - OR -
Information can now be faxed to the following "NEW" phone line at:
1-419-828-7791 (F A X only!)

/EXIT
--
Tedd Mirgliotta, KB8NW -