Old December 11th 06, 02:03 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Joseph Fenn Joseph Fenn is offline

Default FRS Radioes question

I bought 2 of these tiny little FRS radioes so could keep in touch
with wife when she takes her daily walks. I called the FCC
and asked them if any kind of license is required to use thses.
They said certain chnls do require FCC license which costs $75 for
a 1 year period. Chnls 1 thru 7 need this license also the
higher chnls I believe was 16 to 20 also require FCC license.
The others do not require any license or ID when used.
So I set both hers and mine to chnl 12 (frs free useage chnl).
These free chnls per docs have a range of up to 7 miles. The
FCC licensed chnls with same unit have a range up to 14 miles.
When my wife was trying to reach me from a shopping center about
10 miles away she did find a spot that worked. But next time
we tried I Could'nt hear her well only a sylable or 2.
She says after she tried 4 or 5 times, some one came up and
said this is the "POLICE" do you need help!!! How in the heck
does FCC get into the picture or better yet how does the FCC
even monitor these FRS chnls. I thought they only monitor 911.
Joe

* Ham since 1937 HiSchool Sophomore ex W9ZUU, KP4EX, W4FAG, KH6ARG KH6JF *
* WW2 Vet since Sep 1940 to just After VJ day. US Signal Corps AACS *