Old December 11th 06, 08:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Joseph Fenn Joseph Fenn is offline

Default FRS Radioes question

This FRS set came in a 2 unit package on sale for 29.95 for 2 of em.
And the instructions were explicit. I called the FCC at Washn
just to find out which chnls were restricted to fcc license and
which were not. 1 thru 7 do require FCC license for useage
and cost is $75. 8 thru 14 If I remember correctily were free use
no license required. 15 and up were also restricted to FCC
licensing. I parked on 12 and have been useing it with no
no problems as long as range did'nt exceed about 10 miles.
Instructions said limit was 7 miles coverage for the free chnls.
For the FCC chnls the range is 14 miles and the ouput power is
more than the free ones. My wife even on chnl-12 was calling
me but could'nt reach me from about12 miles away, but lo and behold
the Police answered her and asked if she was in trouble. I had no
idea the 911 people scanned those freqs too, but apparently they
do. Thats a plus far as I can see.
Joe Fenn

* Ham since 1937 HiSchool Sophomore ex W9ZUU, KP4EX, W4FAG, KH6ARG KH6JF *
* WW2 Vet since Sep 1940 to just After VJ day. US Signal Corps AACS *