Old December 11th 06, 11:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Dee Flint Dee Flint is offline

Default FRS Radioes question

"Joseph Fenn" wrote in message
va.net...
This FRS set came in a 2 unit package on sale for 29.95 for 2 of em.
And the instructions were explicit. I called the FCC at Washn
just to find out which chnls were restricted to fcc license and
which were not. 1 thru 7 do require FCC license for useage
and cost is $75. 8 thru 14 If I remember correctily were free use
no license required. 15 and up were also restricted to FCC
licensing. I parked on 12 and have been useing it with no
no problems as long as range did'nt exceed about 10 miles.
Instructions said limit was 7 miles coverage for the free chnls.

The "limit" has nothing to do with whether it is free or licensed. It is
strictly a function of physics, terrain, and power level. If you actually
get 7 miles or more, you are incredibly lucky. Under normal conditions, one
mile is more like it.

For the FCC chnls the range is 14 miles and the ouput power is
more than the free ones.

As stated above, the range doesn't depend on whether they require a license
or not. Since more power is allowed on the GMRS channels, they will have a
slightly greater range. Still though, unless there is a GMRS repeater
(relay station) around, the nomal range is well below the touted 14 miles.

My wife even on chnl-12 was calling
me but could'nt reach me from about12 miles away, but lo and behold
the Police answered her and asked if she was in trouble. I had no
idea the 911 people scanned those freqs too, but apparently they
do. Thats a plus far as I can see.
Joe Fenn

Dee, N8UZE