Old December 11th 06, 11:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Joseph Fenn Joseph Fenn is offline

Default FRS Radioes question

What model do you have?

Joseph Fenn wrote:

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Follow The Money" ;-P

Joe says again,
I bought them (2) in a plastic pack on sale at radio shack
2 weeks ago and they said FRS. $29.95 on their big sale day
last week Saturday. I read the data sheet that came with them
and the ranges quoted are (for the free chnls) 7 miles. Chnls 1 to 7.
and think chnls 15 on up are FCC license required. Fpr the Licensed
chnls the range is 14 miles. I chose 12 and locked both units
to 12 which is free useage. I still wonder how the 911 crew
at Hawaiian Telcom got into the act but they did. So must be
they monitor even the license free chnls. I can understand if
they somehow have a scanner working on the licensed chnls thats
a good idea for sure. You got the ranges wrong. Its
7 and 14. I live on a hill and my wife did find a hot spot at
the huge Ala Moana center and we carried on a conversation for
a few minutes then quit. Thats over 10 miles from home.
Joe