Old October 23rd 03, 05:28 AM
Roger Halstead

On 22 Oct 2003 17:29:12 -0700, (Art Unwin KB9MZ)
wrote:

Yes it is one heavy piece of steel. Since my tower is a fold over

The tower section with the top plate is 7 feet long instead of 10, yet
it weighs the same. That means the top plate weighs the same as 3 feet
of tower, or 30#. The standard 45 G is 90# per section.

I like the aluminum plate idea. On mine I'd have to use 3/8ths or 1/2
inch but it'd be one whale of a lot lighter than the steel plate.

Mine has the heavy side and bending load, hence I really do need a lot
of strength up there.

I dispensed with the Rohn version and obtained an aluminum plate
to which I fastened three rods using a bolt thru the plate aproach.
These three rods push fit into the Rohn tower legs.
Once in place they stay there thus no water build up
in the tower legs. It sure escapes me why Rohn made the top
plate so heavy especialy when they limit the top loading for
fold over use.
Perhaps they were concerned that the tower would split

Which would happen first? break the tower apart or pull the guy
anchors out of the ground? Mine weigh 17,000# each. I guess the tower
would fail first, but I'll bet the anchors would no longer be level.

:-))

www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R World's oldest Debonair? (S# CD-2)
down the middle instead of buckling when guys were over tightened.
Grin