Old December 13th 06, 02:37 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Charly Charly is offline

Default Questions of a very beginner.

sbo wrote :
Hello,

Bonjour !

I have bought a week ago a SONY ICF 7600GR in a famous shop here in
Paris.

La FNAC I bet... ;-)

I live in an appartment at the 4th floor; the closest wall is at 30
meters.

I would like to know how to improve the reception thanks to the
antenna.

For now, the best results i could get were by using an electrical cable
linked to a drainpipe; not very professional, i know, but thanks to
this archaic system i can daily receive many radio stations from
europa, and even china.

If it works, why not ? China is transmitting with quite a power, so you
could get it off the whip for sure, if the walls of your building are
not made of steel & concrete... Are you living in a recent building or
an old one from the 19th century ?

How high is your building ? Do you have access to the roof ? An external
wire (if allowed) hanging down from the roof can be a very good
solution, but you will also get the electrical noise from the TV sets
nearby and the like.

What do you think i should do to improve reception ? And is thi
temporary system OK ?

Should i buy an antenna ? And if yes, which one could suit my needs ?

In a city like Paris I would suggest a loop antenna (good sensitivy and
low electrical noise). Check the group archives for names/brands or
"do-it-yourself" models.

I personnaly use a small SONY AN-LP1 active loop antenna with good
result : better signals that my 10 meters external wire antenna with a
Sangean 909 (one of the main competitor of the Sony 7600GR) and a Sony
ICF-SW100 radio.

Thanks in advance.

Mais de rien... C'est avec plaisir.

PS : I feel quite sad tonight because everywhere i look on the
internet, it seems that SW are dying. Radio stations close, people do
not buy anymore radios, etc.
What do you think ?

We still have some to listen to. I like for instance to listen at IRIB
(Radio Teheran), Radio Cairo, KOL Israel etc. to get the local point of
view regarding the middle-east situation. I even get sometimes Radio
Australia... but sometimes only...

Charly
(Proche de Saint-Germain-en-Laye)