Old December 13th 06, 09:24 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Brian Hill Brian Hill is offline

Default Is There A Better Portable Than the Sony ICF-2010?

"CelticDude" wrote in message
ups.com...
Too_Many_Tools wrote:
I am thinking about upgrading....any suggestions?

Also I have been getting an occasional "Error 3" on my Sony 2010...what
is it from?

Thanks for any advice.

TMT

Hello TMT,

IMHO you would have a hard time finding a better portable than the
2010. The new Eton E1 is getting a lot of good reviews, with a synch
detector that's rated highly, and more features than the 2010. I don't
have one however, mostly because of the price (plus it's ugly!) For
$500 I'd rather go for a tabletop.

Also, Red Sun has an interesting portable out, and will be coming out
with one in the future with synch detection (can't remember the model
numbers, but do a search of this group for "red sun".)

As far as the Error 3, that is caused by a problem with the AA
batteries that power the memory and CPU. If the batteries themselves
are okay, then you may have to *gently* bend the clips that hold the
batteries. From what I've read, this is a somewhat common problem with
the 2010. If you search the Yahoo 2010 group, you will find more
detailed descriptions and fixes for this.

Good luck, and let us know if you get another portable.

DWP

I only paid $399 for my E1 and it works great. It performs better than any
portable I've ever owned and better than a lot of tabletops I've used. No
problems in quality either. I sold my R-5000 and kept this because it
performs similarly and has a great interface. I think it was worth it.

--
Regards
B.H.

Remove your HAT to reply directly