Old December 15th 06, 05:44 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon Telamon is offline

Default Conditions look rough for tomorrow.

In article ,
"Guerite" wrote:

"Telamon" sprache

http://www.space.com/scienceastronom...lar_storm.html

Watch this page: http://www.sec.noaa.gov/SWN/index.html

Pay attention to the Magnetic Field Bz component dial.
As it looks at this very moment, it shows a slightly reversed (S) magnetic
field relative to earth's N/S magnetic poles.
If this trend continues geomagnetic activity will increase.

See http://www.sec.noaa.gov/SWN/sw_dials.html

Magnetic Field Bz dial:

Ranges from -50 to +50 nT. The dial is a linear scale from -10 to +10 nT and
a different linear scale from -10 to -50 nT and +10 to +50 nT. For values
beyond the maximum and minimum, the arrow will stay pegged at the maximum or
minimum. If the magnetic field data are missing, the arrow will not appear.
The arrow will move to the location on the scale corresponding to the actual
value of the latest 15 minute average of the Bz component of the magnetic
field vector. The letters N and S refer to North and South of the magnetic
equator. The color bar indicates green for positive values, yellow for small
negative values , and red for large negative values of Bz.

Why Bz is so important:
When the interplanetary magnetic field turns south compared to the Earth's
magnetic field, geomagnetic activity will increase. As the Bz (Southward
pointed) value becomes more negative, the associated geomagnetic activity
increases.

Yes, I'm aware of this web page and I do monitor it. All shortwave
listeners should do this.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California