Old December 15th 06, 05:17 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
BDK BDK is offline

Default JRC NRD-545 = Discontinued

In article ,
says...

wrote in message
ps.com...

mike0219116 wrote:
According to Dave:

http://www.ticon.net/~n9ewo/

Not surprising. High-end shortwave radios were a niche market to begin
with. With the implosion of the hobby it stands to reason even fewer
people will buy the NRD.

Maybe they should consider dropping the RRP price a little.

When a couple of previous JRC models were discontinued, they dropped the
price down to just about what a really good used one was going for. THe
515, normally $1499 was dropped to $999, and they went fast. I couldn't
swing one then, but a year later, I bought a loaded used 515, memory
box, and speaker for $895. I still have it 20 years later. It's had some
problems over the years, almost all either cold solder joints on the
VFO, or issues with the phono plug interconnects they used for some odd
reason. They didn't even solder the plugs on. Strange way to cut a tiny
amount of the cost of making a 1500 buck radio.

I think the 525 was 999 when they closed it out too.

BDK