Old February 29th 04, 05:29 AM
Dick

On 29 Feb 2004 04:01:26 GMT, (Michael Black)
wrote:

Dick (LeadWinger) writes:
On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 23:56:12 GMT,
wrote:

FWIW, I have a July, 1988 73 magazine. On the masthead, it
shows -- Editor in Chief - Wayne Greene, W2NSD/1.

That has been true since the beginning of 73 magazine. I still have
the January 1965 issue that contains a noise limiter I "designed." In
those days, 73 was a great ham radio magazine full of good articles.
Wayne had a good run, but nothing lasts forever.

Dick - W6CCD

Actually, there was that period in the eighties when Wayne had sold the
magazine (well he sold his magazine empire to one of the computer magazine
publishers who wanted the computer magazines) and was not in charge of it.
He kept writing editorials, so I never gave it any thought until they stopped,
and the editor or publisher mentioned that Wayne did not have his heart in it.
The magazine was healthy in that period, but I really think it lead
to the magazine's ultimate downfall. It was being run as a business, not
something coming out of a hobby interest, by people who were not hams.
Wayne eventually got the magazine back, for the simple reason that the
publisher really did not know much about it. I'm pretty sure they wanted
to kill it, but gave it back to Wayne instead. The real decline did not
come for some years, but I think the magazine stalled in those years,
losing subscribers and old time writers, so the downward spiral began.

Michael VE2BVW

Now that you mention it, I do seem to recall something along those
lines. Haven't kept up with 73 or CQ for a number of years because of
the ridiculous price of magazines in general. I still remember when
Life Magazine was 10-cents. Now magazines in general are $5 and up!
I refuse to buy any.

Dick - W6CCD